1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gonzo sports journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr7134, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Gonzo sports journalism, for want of a better term.

I'm currently reading “A Fighter's Heart” by Sam Sheridan. For those unfamiliar with the book I'll quote the Amazon.com description.

Anyway, this book brought to mind one of my favourite sports books. It's, “Looking for a Fight: How a Writer Took on the Boxing World - From the Inside” by David Mattews.

I'll quote the Amazon.co.uk description though it doesn't do the book justice...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Looking-Fight-Writer-Boxing-Inside/dp/0747262357/ref=sr_1_4/026-2141659-3970805?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175970523&sr=1-4

What does do the book justice is one of the customer reviews...

I found these books fascinating. My favourite sports book is, “King of the World” by David Remnick because he's a truly great writer dealing with an interesting time. However there is something though about the writer as participant in the realm of sports. I like, “The Fight” by Mailer but by participant I mean more than that. I mean there is something strangely fascinating about the writer trying to be an athlete and enduring the athlete's experience.

Can anyone recommend any more books in that vein.?

Draft saved Draft deleted