1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gonna

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Jan 25, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Fixed. ;)

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

We -- like -- are not going to take it -- you know.
    No, -- um -- we are not going -- you know -- to take it.
    Um, We [pause] are not going to take it.
    Any more -- you know.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We do it every day, with every speaker, Shottie.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I my gosh. You've hit on another one.

I heard an NBA player use 'you know' about 1,539 times in a 3-minute locker room interview. The next day, there wasn't a single 'you know' in his quotes in any of the papers I saw interviewing him.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Thanks. :) If it had a picture, I might actually bookmark it.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Shaun Livingston?

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

8. dwychwder

dwychwder New Member

For what it's worth, I think "gonna" makes a quote flow better. I think "Going to" is almost like "said" in that a reader won't really notice it. Plus, by keeping "gonna" it in, you usually capture the personality of the quote better. By changing it, you run the risk of neutering the quote.

9. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I appreciate the importance of maintaining a quote's authenticity, but I banned 'gonna' from my department long ago. While it's a good idea to keep personality and color in quotes, I generally like to stick with actual words when putting out a sports section. Rare exception might be for a headline, but it would have to be a humdinger of a story.

10. slipshod

slipshod Member

I too use ``gonna'' in quotes from time to time, just like I do the more-than-occasional ``ain't,'' ``man,'' and other expressions that tend to define the personality of the talker. I have straightened a few quotes out though, I admit. Kind of a case by case deal. ``Man, that guy can shoot.'' is a lot better than ``That guy can shoot.''

11. subhead

subhead Member

I change gonna, 'em and 'cause to going to, them and because almost all of the time.

There's exceptions to every rule. If I was going to quote song lyrics, I'd stick with gonna if that's what it is. If I'm for some reason writing a team's slogan and it says, 'We'll beat 'em all, 'cause we're awesome," I'll write 'em and 'cause.

If a coach says, "We played poorly today, but we're gonna get back to work and improve," then it's going to after I edit it.

While we're at it, alright is two words, all right? Granted, alright is in dictionaries and there's exceptions to every rule.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Why do you keep referencing a guitar book? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted