1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gonna see what all the fuss is about: Springsteen this Monday at Giants Stadium

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 23, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Third-ever live performance (Dec. 31, 1980 and earlier this year in Europe are the other two) and it kicked ass.

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

His appearance on 60 minutes, taped or otherwise, was a promotional set up. So the only remaining question is, will the Dixie Maines be a set-up act?

Intriguing interview, though.

3. EStreetJoe

Setlist wise last night's show kicked ass. Performance-wise, it was stellar, but a notch below Sunday. As Starman said Nils absolutely shredded his solo on 'Because the Night'.
    Held Up Without a Gun was tremendous, Drive All Night (only the second or third full-band performance since 1981 was stunning), Bruce & Steve's dueling guitars highlighted Saint in the City (after some confusion about what key to play it in at the start of the song -- Bruce saying let's try it in 'C', then saying 'I hope I can sing it in 'C' because it was written in 'A', then saying forget it, let's just do it in 'A'), a wild Detroit Medley, Twist & Shout with special guests Jesse Malin and Serge Bielanko of Marah joining Bruce at the mic, Max's son filling in for dad on Born to Run and doing great job, just too many highlights to list.

4. EStreetJoe

He appeared on 60 Minutes late last year when Magic first came out. Did he appear again? One of the best quotes from that 60 Minutes appearance was him saying "my son says I'm an attention whore"

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ah, I knew I'd heard it somewhere else. I have a boot - as I'm sure many Springsteen fans do - of that 1980 show.

6. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Magic's gay? :0

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: Gonna see what all the fuss is about: Springsteen this Monday at Giants Stad

Well, I was going on the word of a fairly-reputable source: Bruce Springsteen. ;D ;D

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

any show with "out in the street," "drive all night" and "thunder road" is bound to leave me with a terrible case of setlist envy. i'm soooo there again thursday night. i'll tell mrs. shockey i won't spend a dime on myself for the rest of the summer.

dangerous reading too much into it, but... i'm hoping bruce gets all sentimental about playing his last-ever giants stadium gig and empties his playbook. one can dream, eh?

9. EStreetJoe

I'm burned out right now (tired, scratchy throat, backache from standing so long) and have to work tonight and tomorrow, so I'm considering skipping Thursday's show. I don't have a ticket and don't want to waste all day on line trying to catch a drop or all afternoon in the parking lot Thursday trying to get a good ticket.
    If I do skip it, I pray he doesn't break out Crush On You or The Price You Pay -- two songs he hasn't played in 27-28 years.

10. EStreetJoe

The exact quote was "we've only played this once before and twice in our lives"

Other videos from the 27th and 28th that have been posted to YouTube:

July 27
    10th Ave.

Spirit in the Night

Summertime Blues

July 28
    Born to Run (w/Max's son)

Twist & Shout (95-99% of it)

Out in the Street

No Surrender

For those that do BitTorrent, both nights are up on dimeadozen.org from two different sources (bossman and travitz). By reputation travitz always has great stuff but I've been told bossman's night 1 recording is pretty damn good.
    If you don't belong to dimeadozen, you can probably get onto Jungleland - http://jungleland.dnsalias.com:6969/index.php - where both versions of night 1 and the bossman version of night 2 are up (as of 1:20 p.m. EDT), I'm sure the night 2 travitz version will make its way over there later this afternoon or tonight.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

No drops yet.

Dying to go on Thursday, but between the commute and my newborn's indifference towards sleep, I may bail.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You need to ditch her now.

Draft saved Draft deleted