1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gone With the Wind ... gone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 10, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never suggested otherwise. I just found Star Wars more entertaining.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've never seen it. I had a free preview of CBS All-Access, but all I ended up watching was Picard.

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I have conflicted feelings about Discovery. I didn't hate it, but I have conflicted feelings. And though I like the lead actress, I didn't love her character for a couple of reasons that I won't go into because if you decide to watch it I don't want to spoil it.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm sure the character Dennis from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia will age well. He secretly films every one of his sexual encounters. Accused of molesting girls; statutory rape.
    This scene will look great in 50 years

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean... What's your point? All of the characters on "Always Sunny" are meant to be seen as trash humans, Dennis included. They're doing awful things constantly, and I can't imagine anyone emulating them.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know about 50 years but it's still a great scene today.

They say a lot of horrible things in South Park, too, but the problem is the unintended racist and sexist tropes rather than Always Sunny, South Park, Blazzing Saddles, etc. that highlight the ridiculous while playing it for laughs.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. poindexter

For the record, I love Sunny in Philadelphia. I was laughing when I reposted that.

I just think its a fool's errand to go back to GWTW, Star Trek, or any other production from a different era to play Gotcha.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think there is a big difference between playing "GOTCHA!" and acknowledging, "Hey, Star Trek had some good stuff going on it, but also, it's weird that they treat women like shit at times too." I'm not saying we have to pull every piece of media that looks bad now, but I'm not opposed to pulling certain episodes or putting 'explainers' on before stuff that really hasn't aged well.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. poindexter

If you watched the Bruce Lee 30 for 30 and saw Mickey Rooney play a stereotypical Chinese man - HOLY SHIT.
    I am not a movie fanatic, but that has to be some of the the most racist shit in the color movie era.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Breakfast At Tiffany's

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That song sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted