1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gone With the Wind ... gone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

HBO Max has pulled "Gone With the Wind" from its lineup. After it sits in the corner and thinks about what it's done, and writes an essay, maybe it can come back out.

'Gone with the Wind' pulled from HBO Max until it can return with 'historical context' - CNN

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm dyin'.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gone With the Wind available on many many platforms for screening, including for free on film archive site. Also, if ever a movie could've been 30 minutes shorter to good effect...

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

In the time it takes to watch GWTW, you can watch two good movies.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Fourth post. Well played.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It’s amazing the fall from grace this movie has had in the last 25 years. When I was young I remember it consistently considered perhaps the best movie of all time. Surely we have a long way to go, but the world has certainly changed.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It may have been remembered as the biggest hit of all time, which it was for many many years, but best? I don't think so.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think Citizen Kane has been heralded as the GOAT by movie people over Gone With the Wind.

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

To the amazement of my mom, I read the book in fifth grade.

I'm sure it was a landmark picture in the 1930s, but at this point there are just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many movies which surpass it.

It's like honoring the first guy to dunk a basketball up there with Jordan and Vince Carter, just because he was first.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I hope HBO gives a raise to the marketing/PR person who thought of doing this to get all the free publicity.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize movies today have gone far beyond what GWTW did - technically, box office wise etc. So watching it 40 or more years later you wonder what the big whoop is - but it was a moon shot of a movie at the time. I thought Citizen Kane was vastly superior and still holds up decades later - so much good stuff in that movie, the plotting, the camera work, the sets. Hell, Cold Mountain is a better story of the Civil War than GWTW.

Draft saved Draft deleted