1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gone, Wisconsin: McGinn, Gardner leave Journal-Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, May 3, 2017.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

McGinn also never asked a question at a press conference. He once told me he wasn't there to do ESPN's work for them (or words to that effect).

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Excellent McGinn story but I feel like it was too personal. He obviously had newspapering in his blood and probably should have kept some of his memories to himself. As he said at the end he had his own standards that were the ones that drove him. He said many times in the piece that readers loved him. I feel like that story would have been good to write but should have not been printed. Little too personal.
    Also, newspapers must be still pretty popular in Wisconsin. If he looked forward to reading newspapers so much that he bought three. Newspapers I've seen are crap now and definitely not worth purchasing. Now reading some stories online from newspapers is a different story. But the ones in the newspaper are short and crap because the sports sections are only 2-4 pages.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

McGinn is back to work. I just received this solicitation.

"Now I’d like to take this opportunity to acquaint you with my new website, bobmcginnfootball.com. My son, Charlie, and I began this subscription-based business venture last week.

Bob McGinn Football or BMF for short, will feature my coverage of the Green Bay Packers and the NFL. "

Good luck to him.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  5. Fredrick

Sounds great, but is the only reason he's credentialed cause he's Bob McGinn? Why would a team credential you if you are your own entity? I guarantee you the Packers don't credential all websites out there. Could those websites sue for access if McGinn gets in the stadium and the pressers and they can't? It's a fair question. I obviously am for the McGinns of the world, but how can they credential him??

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Because he is Bob McGinn. Their are no laws protecting teams from discriminating against media outlets. I wonder if he continues to live in Green Bay. His retirement piece said he planned to move to Ann Arbor.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sue for access? On what grounds? A Packers press conference isn't a school board meeting.

8. Fredrick

Restraint of trade. If Bob McGinn is allowed in with a personal website what about William Crowder or Henry Wilson that has Packerbacker.com or Packerstoday.com? They are vying for McGinn's business.

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

LOL. Teams and leagues make decisions about whether to credential reporters (bloggers and otherwise) all the time. The Packers wouldn't be interfering with anyone's ability to run a blog.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

11. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I wish Pro Football Talk had sought a comment from the Packers PR department, which appears it did not do.

12. Fredrick

You got to admit. Many of you despise Fredrick but I was prescient on this one. How bout some kudos for Fredrick here for predicting this.

Draft saved Draft deleted