1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gone, Wisconsin: McGinn, Gardner leave Journal-Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, May 3, 2017.

1. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Bedard went right to The MMQB though, right?

Man, the JS has had some great football guys. Tom Silverstein is still there, he's a long-time beat guy. Don't want to shortchange him, he's still a good read.

You'll enjoy McGinn's book and learn more about Super Bowl history than you can possibly fathom.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Bedard went from The MMQB to SI and then was let go. Seemed odd.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

When did Bedard get let go? I love his work.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Bedard went from MMQB to SI -- an in-house move. Then he recently was laid off.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I think you are right, but I disagree about the 50 dollar prize. Too expensive. Probably 20 bucks or a free lunch somewhere.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Think of all the stuff that used to be covered will never ever ever be covered. The watchdogs are gone. I bet the school boards, politicians, cops will be loving the end of journalism/newspapers.

7. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Bedard went from the JS to the Boston Globe and then MMQB/SI

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Free lunch? They'll just offer a coupon to the local McDonald's for a free small soda.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Don't worry, your local city has a FACEBOOK page and a TWITTER account! I'm sure everything's covered there ... :rolleyes:

dixiehack and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  10. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

So, in the latest layoffs....the sports reporter was let go. So I am now Food/Going Out Reporter/Sports..and am needing to figure out a way "to balance my beats." Also it is me and a photographer for a town of 20,000. I am going to try and make them figure something out and will be looking for a new job. The Skype meeting with Pam Henson and the other big wigs was pretty awesome. A lot of bashing and great questions including one that started with "...No BS corporate speak.."

SFIND likes this.
  11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tremendous piece. This line grabbed me:

I did read and benefited significantly from the work of my colleagues; otherwise, I stayed away from other print and electronic coverage, state and national, to avoid groupthink at all costs.

Probably not too many people in the biz (or any other biz) who could get away with saying they don't read other coverage. But that's supreme confidence in your work and your Rolodex, which he rightfully had. (And since he said he hated cell phones, maybe he really did have a Rolodex.)

Draft saved Draft deleted