1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gone too far? Does ESPN show racial insensitivity with Moss parody?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Has the World Wide Leader, ESPN, has gone too far this time? The network is running a parody of Randy Moss and at the end of the skit, a dj is wearing an oversized afro wig, black face with eye black. I expect there will be an apology of some kind.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Dwyane Wade says "get over it"
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hey ESPN, how's about you, you know, report the news and opine on it instead of turning into a cut-rate SNL?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

But then what will Kenny Mayne do?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

My thought exactly. I guess that what ESPN calls being hip.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ESPN is the company newsletter for the NFL and NBA. Not that the NFL Network isn't a wholly owned subsidiary of the NFL, but ESPN shills much more and is less critical.

Even with 800 channels, there doesn't seem to be room for counterweight to ESPN. But if Yahoo was looking to waste a billion dollars, their sports coverage is, relatively, hard hitting and a cable channel devoted to critical sports coverage may be a loss leader.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When can we expect a scorching skit from ESPN ripping the shit out of Brett Favre for his continuing drama queen act?

Probably right after the next 60-minute SportsCenter which contains 53 minutes of breathless reports on how he feels today, how are the stitches on his chin, how is his ankle, etc etc blah blah yadda yadda.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Drip, do you have the link to that parody? The only parody of Moss that I know so far is the rap video compilation done by DJ Steve Porter.

Besides, Halloween was on Sunday.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't have a link. Sorry, but you're right about the dj. Halloween or not, the black face minstrel act was uncalled for. It went too far in my opinion.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

1. I'm pretty sure the Steve Porter thing ran on ESPN and is what Drip is referring to.
    2. Turns out it wasn't blackface, but a Moss mask that he sold on his website. Still a dumb idea.

http://deadspin.com/5679779/no-espns-randy-moss-remix-end-does-not-end-with-a-white-dude-in-blackface

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Thanks Big Circus. I didn't know Moss sold the mask. You're right, it was STILL a dumb idea. Somebody should've been thinking about that skit before it aired.

12. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Stuart Scott is a bigger insult to black people everywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted