1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gone Girl question (May contain spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Oct 18, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wasn't arguing with you, just curious.

I was just out of college when Fight Club came out. I'd read the book and most of Palahniuk's stuff and I thought the movie would be impossible to pull off.

What I like best about the movie is the writing. Other than some of Tarantino's stuff, I can't remember too many movies with so many lines that just stuck with you while watching it.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Does anyone think the whole thing about him buying all the stuff with his credit card was dumb?

How realistic is it that a guy who is killing his wife for the insurance money going to buy a whole bunch of crap right before doing it? And if he doesn't play golf, why did she have him buy golf clubs?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Must have me confused with someone you care about.

That said, I think Tarantino is the Hemingway of cinema dialogue. And Basterds still might be my favorite movie since '08 though I've missed quite a few flicks since '12 or so.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

My mistake then.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

A couple things bugged me because they didn't fit:

1. The lawyer tells the husband to go interview the ex-boyfriends. Should never happen. Defendant has to stay away from that. Lawyer would have investigators for that.

B. Lawyer tells defendant they have to go to police and come forward about the stuff in the shed. Sound strategy - get in front of it. Then three days later they still haven't told the police about the stuff in the shed?

iii. Husband is talking to sister, lawyer and cop about not wanting to go back with his wife. They tell him you're stuck. But wouldn't the husband be saying: I need a strategy so I am never alone with this woman. I want a witness with me every second of every day.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Completely agree with 1. I thought the same thing. I think they wanted him to cop to the affair because they knew it would get out eventually. Maybe not about the shed.

As far as iii is concerned, as soon as she came back, the husband was in the clear. Everybody who thought he had killed her knew immediately that he hadn't. At least that was my interpretation.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So why exactly does the husband live with her at the end of the movie? What was the upside?

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

She trapped him with a pregnancy.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Language NSFW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7o-ziHVTkw

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read the book. But I did see the movie. ... In order to enjoy the movie, you can't pick it apart. You have to take the attitude that it's not REALLY realistic. ... but it's close enough. There were quite a few things in the movie where you had to stretch the limits of belief. And there were a few blatant holes. But if you try to see a movie that way without suspending your disbelief, you are going to miss out on a pretty good film. The movie was trying to stay ahead of the audience and keep people surprised. They cheated a bit to get there. But so what?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, I enjoyed the movie, but I don't have any problem pointing out its flaws.
    I don't accept that you can't do both: enjoy something and be well aware of its flaws.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't mean to suggest you can't be aware of the holes. Within minutes of leaving the theater, we were pointing them out. I just meant that you can't get hung up on those details with a film like that, because if you do, it's not going to be nearly as enjoyable as it should be.

Draft saved Draft deleted