1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gone Baby Gone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Since we seem to have dropped the idea of a movie thread...

Gone Baby Gone is getting all kinds of early buzz as a really good film. I love Dennis Lehane, both for his books and for his contribution to The Wire.

If you can get past your hatred for director Ben Affleck (I actually still like him a lot and am glad he's got a shot at redemption) supposedly it's being mentioned as one of the best films of the year.

Story of about Affleck:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/14/movies/14mcgr.html

AP review calling it a really good flick:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21312908/

Herald calling breathtaking:

http://news.bostonherald.com/entertainment/movies/reviews/view.bg?articleid=1038213

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Double Down, the thread is on the board, but not stickied.

3. Double Down

I saw a thread for The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, so I assumed we were no longer using the movies thread.

Or that Casey Affleck's films had earned some kind of special exemption.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Not to go off topic, but the music board is gone too....

5. Double Down

Saw GBG this weekend, and didn't want to get lost in the movie thread, so I'm yanking this back.

Very good movie, liked the ending a lot, loved the Boston stuff, but thought Morgan Freeman's character was a bit too thin to play the role he did at the end. I think we needed more backstory about him if he was going to make the decision he made.

Casey Affleck needs to enunciate more. Really liked the inclusion of two major characters from The Wire, Omar and Beattie (Michael K. Williams and Amy Ryan). Ryan was great.

The whole movie presents a pretty complicated moral dilema. Dennis Lehanne contines to kick ass.

I actually liked this better than both Boston noirs that earned AA nominations, Mystic River and The Departed, so it will be interesting to see if it gets Best Picture love. Probably not, but it should definitely get a nomination for cinemetography.

Either way, it's nice to see Ben Affleck redeemed a bit.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I can NOT count the days fast enough until "The Wire" returns!

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I think Ben Affleck would do well to stay behind the camera and let Casey handle the acting. I thought they both did an excellent job.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I really, really disliked Mystic River. I thought it was soapy.

Should I steer clear of this?

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Luggy, I thought Mystic River sucked, too. They all tried too damn hard.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Xan, I went ahead and read the GBG synopsis with spoilers. Sounds very much like Mystic.

River, not Pizza.

11. Double Down

I thought it was far superior to Mystic River, which, as usual, was a better book than a movie. Gone Baby Gone is worth seeing. It's a really haunting and beautiful portrayal of working-class Boston. And the moral dilema at the end is interesting. I honestly don't know what I would have done.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think Affleck could play the shark from Jaws.

Draft saved Draft deleted