1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golfweek Fires Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that people say stupid things that they don't really mean or hear and don't really understand all the time.

I grew up in an area with lots of Jews and Catholics and blacks moving in. You heard some Jew jokes but I never understood it.

People are people.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The cover was way over the top. If they had done something with a shadow of a noose, it might have worked. Or a noose with a microphone swinging in it.

I think it's "journalistic" of Golfweek to write about a controversial issue. But they managed to throw gasoline on it.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think the thing with Stevenson sounded about right. He apologized quickly and accepted responsibility. Also, you said he had a long career and was esteemed.

I question whether Tilghman has earned that sort of benefit of a doubt. Also, the image of lynching is a lot worse than the other example.

I once heard a story where one Jewish person, upon seeing someone who shared the faith buying a Mercedes, remark something like are you sure your uncle isn't part of the upholstery. Now, that is dark humor and teasing being exchanged among friends. If something like that were broadcast, it is an entirely different matter.

Thanks for the reply, Elliotte - I wanted to get your input.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

The editor could have put Tiger and the reporter on the front cover and told what was inside more effectively and less offensively.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The fact you admit you only read it 10 times a year shows you have no idea what you're talking about when you call it irrelevant. Golfweek has done some of the best business stories on golf of any publication. Jeff Babineau and Jeff Rude are topnotch writers. They're the voice of amateur and college golf. You're barking up the wrong tree on that statement.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Firing Seanor might have been wrong. But Golfweek tells Finchem, the Tour and other golf honchos where to get off when they need to. You must not read it enough to know.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Check a copy of Golfweek. There is very little advertising that could be traced to the Tour. Maybe your odd TPC resort course here and there. but it's not enough to make a difference in this case.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fair enough. I actually was a subscriber until a few years ago, they couldn't get the thing delivered to me on time when I moved to a rural area.

But don't you think that if the PGA Tour pulled advertising, even if just a little, a lot of others would fall in step behind them?

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Well deserved firing in my humble opinion. Well beyond what is acceptable.

10. Perhaqps it is more about continued access to information from the Tour and access to the players?

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I have no idea if rumored threats that the Tour would pull advertising from affiliated operations (such as World Golf Village) is true. The Tour denied it.
    But I do know that golf groups, pro and amateur, are incredibly thin-skinned, fancy blazered (generally) white men who act like parents of high school kids when some dares criticize their quaint little sport in any way, shape or form.
    Note that Finchem's minions issued a release in his name, perhaps even authored by him, criticizing Seanor's cover rather than saying nothing. That indicates that Finchem was getting flak from his people.
    As for the cover, I agree with the George Lois 1960s Esquire analogy. I might have tried a microphone hanging from a rope with a noose as the shadow, but, if I was the owner, I would never have fired Seanor for what he did.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If I ever read a golf magazine I'd like my own noose.

Draft saved Draft deleted