1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golfweek Fires Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jan 18, 2008.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Subscribers in Placerville thought it was a great cover.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine the Golf industry (especially advertisers) doesn't like it when a noose is used to represent what's going on in the world of golf. A bad choice of words is one thing, putting a noose on the cover of a magazine is another thing. I remember the flack SI got when Barkley was on their cover in chains.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

In almost every design brainstorming session ideas are presented that everyone in the room knows go to far to ever make print. Those ideas bring a laugh and then they're thrown out. Or, sometimes, an element of that over-the-top idea is tamed into the final design.

Even more rarely, someone suggests "Well, you know, if we did it carefully and well; it just might work." And then a designer executes the idea masterfully. Most of the readers love it and it wins a bunch of contests.

Needless to say the noose idea should have been tossed out of the design early. They are about 1,001 better ways to illustrate the story.

What it ended up being was a bad design idea executed badly. All they did was piss a bunch of people off with the very imagery that caused the controversy in the first place.

And Golfweek's crime was worse because they actually planned it and it was in print, not a slip of the tongue.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think how ESPN covered the story had anything to do with Seanor's fate, but I'm sure he and others at Golfweek saw this cover as an opportunity for their publication to become a source worthy of SportsCenter, not just Golf Central. Run a photo on Tilghman on the cover and no one outside the insular golf world is still talking about the issue. Print what they did and, well, everyone knows who Golfweek is now. But that's not a good thing.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Golfweek hits my desk every week. I read it 10 times a year. I will read this one.
    It's an irrelevant publication, journalistically.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Well said.

All I would add is that he attempted journalism in a place where it isn't really appropriate.

GolfWeek (and all the others) are glorified advertorial

7. Why can't Golfweek tell Tim Finchem to fuck off?
    Baseball America can rip Selig any time it wants to do so.
    And Elliotte, the issue was "dying down" because the PGA, and its sycopnats, and Kelly Tilghman's pals had run the "It's nobig deal" meme largely untouched for a couple of weeks. This cover illustrated, exactly, what was wrong with Ms. Tighman's display of towering public ignorance and I think firing the editor for it is unconscionable cowardice.

8. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Talk about irony. I e-mailed that editor Wednesday afternoon to ask about job opportunities...

9. I'm serious about my first questio, for any golf scribes out there.
    Does Finchem have that big of a hammer over Golfweek?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He needed to use Joe Pesci's vise instead.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The firing was at least in part an olive branch to advertisers, no doubt. The PGA Tour had threatened to pull its ads and if a few equipment giants followed, Golfweek would eventually fold and dozens would lose jobs. Instead, one guy did.

EDIT: I too want to hear golf scribes' take, but I'd bet Finchem does have that big of a hammer here. The advertising threat was probably just one thing he could do to a publication that wouldn't survive without his league's money and partnership. He wouldn't be able to do a thing to the likes of an SI or ESPN mag but he could make life very hard for Golfweek.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The story was over, though.

However, from that Golf Week cover....

"The Golf Channel can't wriggle free"

Huh???

If they had been a week earlier, maybe there is an argument for the cover.

Not now.

Draft saved Draft deleted