1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golfweek Fires Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jan 18, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I used to get both GolfWeek and GolfWorld but I dropped GolfWeek because it basically sucked. I thought the cover was a bit sensationalistic, especially since the whole thing happened a couple weeks ago. But to fire the guy is a joke. Talk about having no balls.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I respectfully disagree with the sentiment so far.

This was a colossal over-exaggeration of what happened on that Golf Channel broadcast. As I wrote on the other thread, Kelly Tilghman deserved some kind of punishment. I don't believe for a second that she meant any malice toward Tiger Woods, or toward any black person anywhere. However, as a broadcaster, I understand that viewers must expect a certain kind of professionalism -- that the person covering a golf tournament will be polished enough to avoid making that kind of mistake.

Golfweek did exactly what many of you assault TV for -- sensationalizing and inflaming a story, simply to sell. The sub-head "Golf Channel can't wriggle free?" Totally bogus. It wasn't trying to wriggle free, it took action. It's unfortunate that a clown like Al Sharpton had to get involved, but it isn't like the station's executives were trying to dodge responsibility. They didn't run, they stepped up.

And, like it or not, Finchem is right, too. Maybe his statement is poorly written legalese, but the sentiment is true. Once Tilghman had been punished, the story was dying down. The only way it was going to be re-ignited was if Woods shunned her at The Buick. As of yesterday, where was this story in the news cycle? Nowhere.

Now, it's back in -- solely because of Golfweek's decision.

I hate to see someone lose a job. I'm not close enough to the magazine to know if it's the right person. But, this is a self-inflicted wound.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Random Thoughts ....

Let's suppose ESPN (PTI, etc.) hadn't made such a big deal about this cover; would Seanor still have his job?

Pretty crappy to let Seanor be the fall guy when we all know (and have posted it) that a group of people knew about that cover before it was printed.

I thought Golfweek was a pretty legit source of journalism, but this decision gives some credence to the belief it might be just another PR vehicle.

Golfweek should take responsibility for a poor decision, bottom line.

4. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

There were much classier ways to present that story on the cover, and it's clear there was disagreement because Seanor was quoted as saying there was "internal debate" over the noose. When I first saw it, I knew there had to be people there sick to their stomach that it made the cover. While I'm sure he wasn't the only one for it, I do believe he made the ultimate decision and should be held accountable. Fired? Maybe. I just would have loved to have been in that room to hear the arguments for and against.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why did Golfweek ever think its market would be remotely moved or care about this story? Golf mag readers wanna get tips from the pros to help their game, or read about new, exotic courses they'll never get to play.

6. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Golfweek's different than Golf Digest and Golf Magazine, though, they really do try to focus on the news rather than tips. They cover amateur and junior golf like crazy and the business side of the game, so the story really was right down their alley (and the one they wrote wasn't bad: http://www.golfweek.com/story/tilghman_news_011608), they just blew the execution of the cover.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Al Campanis disagrees.
    Howard Cosell disagrees.
    Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder disagrees.

Elliotte, It's not Finchem or the PGA's job to dictate news or news cycle. Trust me, they would love that.
    She may not have meant any malice toward Woods. But, just because Woods chooses to ignore cultural issues of this country, doesn't mean those issues are still not prevalent today in many parts of the country. And by doing so, you trivialize hurt and anguish.
    That's at the center of the argument. Not a throw-away line on a telecast.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Fisher,

Finchem is not dictating the news cycle here. This story was quieting down without his influence. Golfweek inflamed it, not the PGA commissioner. Finchem is forced to react by what the magazine did. There would be no additional controversy without the noose cover. I'm no fan of spinmeister sports executives, but I can't fault him for this.

As for the issue itself, the ironic thing about this is that the article is quite good. I'm not disputing your hypothesis about the discussion, but if Golfweek was as sensible on the outside as it was on the inside, there wouldn't be a problem.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Fair enough. I have it on my desk. I need to read the piece.

10. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

it was an error of judgement. they admitted it.
    i don't get this truculent distinction between accidental and intentional. they apologized - why do you have to be so morally superior?

as for one guy taking the fall, he probably had the final say.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

I didn't get a chance to comment when this originally took place.

This woman somehow managed to keep her job. Elliotte, I don't like people to lose their jobs either. You are in television and I understand there is no backspace key in the electronic media. Explain to me why you would have confidence in this person's judgment? I mean, would somebody make a joke about somebody dying in the Holocaust?

To me, this wasn't a slip of the tongue or a mistake, but a really, really stupid instance of horrible judgment. Maybe Tiger Woods can forgive her, but how can anybody have any regard for what comes out of her mouth.

12. You are assuming the golf channel is getting enough viewers to even hear anything out of her mouth.

Draft saved Draft deleted