1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golfweek Fires Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Did anyone else see where Golfweek fired the editor who came up with the idea for the noose cover? Amazing, but NOT surprising. What's other's thoughts?

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just one firing? Hell, the whole company usually signs off on a cover.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's pretty ironic.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Didn't see that. Who was the editor? And unless he pushed it through against everyone's objections, I don't see how it's one person's fault, though I guess the top dog gets the blame.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Dave Seanor.

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1704872,00.html

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Don't mag covers get approved by those at the top of the masthead, including the publisher?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/19/sports/golf/19magazine.html

Golfweek magazine, which published a cover with a noose set against a purplish sky to illustrate its coverage of a controversial comment about Tiger Woods, announced Friday that it had fired Dave Seanor, the editor who approved the cover.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

The idea that anybody OK'd that is beyond me. It's unfortunate that only one person took the fall, but at least one person did.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oh, well, congrats to new editor Jeff Babineau, I guess.

9. Did everyone miss the memo? Journalism is dead. If you write something advertisers don't like, you either fire the people responsible or they pull their advertising. My favorite quote is Finchem saying that Golfweek is attempting to inflame a situation that is coming to a "proper conclusion." Says who...I don't think it's come to that conclusion. When dies Finchem get fired for allowing The Golf Channel to hire Tighlman?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This will only continue because Tiger plays next week at Torrey Pines ... and Tilghman returns to the booth for the tournament.

11. I think the KKK is planning a picket... ;D

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

GolfWeek is a shill. That's the problem.
    This is a news reactionary cover over the Kelly Tilghman comment. She kept her job.
    We can argue the level of execution or concept or taste. What's not in question is the newsworthiness.
    To think Dave Seanor made that decision in a vacuum is naive.

Draft saved Draft deleted