1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golfing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gehrig, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

ProV1 still might be the ball, but I feel everyone should at least give the Penta a try.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Technically, your friend is correct. But still. Ain't wasn't a word for the longest time and now I believe it is in the dictionary - not that it increased the use. People used it before anyway. Same with golfing. I'm going golfing is just as fine as I'm going to play golf. I'm golfing with 21 today and will probably match her name on my scorecard in the first three holes. It's fine. "Bite me" would have been an acceptable response.

3. Moderator1

I'm also on the hate slow play bandwagon but I hate to rush, too. Four hours is the most it should ever take, but 2-2 1/2 seems a bit too quick for me.

Best round I ever had was with the recently deceased outdoors writer Garvey Winegar of the Richmond Times-Dispatch. Can't even remember what I shot, it may have been part of a media day thing now that I think about it. He knew every tree, every bush and every bird call. Stories, stories, stories. This is a guy who was an original Statler Brother and once got a call at the office from Willie Nelson. I wanted that round to never end. To me, that's how I enjoy playing golf. (Or golfing, to piss off 21's friend). I'm not good but golf should be a good time.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Lots of reasons for a slice but a bad grip is usually one of them. Try this: Turn your left hand (assuming you're right-handed) to the right a bit as you grip the club so that you can see the back of your hand (or the logo on your golf glove). The back of your hand should pointing more toward the sky that toward the left. It might feel a bit weird at first but that will help reduce your slice. Also, don't grip the club as hard and try to grip it more with your fingers than your palms. Good luck!

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I have tried the Penta. A good ball. Still anxious to try the 20XI ball from Nike.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I like that. Why can't we have an SJ Golf Outing??

7. Moderator1

Tee times in Tahoe, 45 minutes from now. 15 for all of us to get there, 30 minutes to warm up.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Hm, what a decision....60 and sunny in Tahoe, or dinner-plate sized snowflakes in the east. We'll be there in 15 minutes.

And mazel tov on your 25,000th post.

9. Moderator1

Wow, Didn't even notice that. Group hug in Tahoe!! Must stop and buy my Top Flite Plus balls on the way. Can I play in flip flops?

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I play barefoot, so flip flops should be okay. No swimsuits.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I'm devastated. If there was anyone on this board whom I would expect to have golf shoes to die for, it would be you.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Moddy's golf shoes:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted