1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golfing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gehrig, Oct 27, 2011.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

GLGC added 9 holes in the mid to late 00s.

It's No. 6 Lake that has the island green.

The hole I aced has been completely redesigned and has a lake in front of it now.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As for the ProV1...one of the most remarkable product stories in any industry today, forget golf. It's the highest-priced ball yet also the sport's best seller by a huge margin. Probably the best ball, sure, but it's not twice as good as an average ball for a weekend golfer, yet they scoop them up by the millions (and I'm guilty too) instead of an average ball at half the price.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The easiest cure . . . get out as early as you can, and beat the rush, and the yahoos. I haven't spent 4+ hours on a round
    in a non-charity-tournament setting in 30+ years.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That's the one thing about me. I play very fast.

2 friday afternoons ago, me and the course super went and played 18 holes in 2 hours 10 minutes before our high school game that night.

He shot 78, I shot 80.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If anyone on here wants to see how to swing a golf club.....next time a decent PGA Tour event is in your neighborhood, I strongly encourage you to go out.

Not necessarily to the tournament itself, but to the driving range.

I followed Ernie Els at the 99 International from the range and for 18 holes. My God, that swing flows like none other.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When I was young, foolish and could hit it a ton, would be first one out on a local (no sand, no water, wide-open) municipal and would ALWAYS be back inside of two hours . . . walking.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Every Saturday and Sunday here, there is a BIG group that goes off at 12:30. Typically 15-20 guys, we split them into 2 or 3 groups, depending on the number, and almost invariably, even with a 6-some.....we'll be round in 3-3 1/2 hours tops.

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I know. For me, that means jumping in as a single, which I'm OK with. The guys I play with always want to go out 9-10 AM. Last time I tried to play, I had a 6:45 tee time ... and it poured. Round cancelled. I threw in the towel after that.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A brief digression, but I need to ask this:

Is 'golfing' a legit word? A couple years ago I got blasted by a writer when I said I was 'golfing on Sunday.' Insisted the right phrase was 'playing golf,' you wouldn't say you were 'footballing' or 'baseballing.' Guy is a famed loudmouth who I won't out here, but ever since then, I can't say 'golfing.'

Any thoughts from the learned word police of SJ?

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I got in about 20 rounds this summer which is sort of low since I was working at one of the top municipals in CO. Shoulder problems and a complete lack of a consistent swing attributed to that. Best on nine was a 44 with a few bogie and a double. Going to recommit to the swing next season. I will say, my short game was the best it has ever been.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Webster calls it an intransitive verb. Nobody I know uses it as such. But I don't think it's a "blast-able" offense.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Did not think to snap back, 'IT'S AN INTRANSITIVE VERB, YOU INSUFFERABLE BLOWHARD!' Next time I will be better prepared. 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted