1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golfing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gehrig, Oct 27, 2011.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Until this year, I was good for 25 rounds a spring-summer-fall. This year? Out 3 times. I can't believe it. I've found that I don't feel like making that five-hour time commitment. It chews up half your day. The last time I went out, my patience went south in a hurry, and then all I wanted to do was get the hell out of there.

Usually shoot in the 90's. Low round was 78, many years ago, on an easy course.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This is freaky. My hole in one ball is a Titleist 4, 100 compression. (I still wish they made the old Professional balls)

I caught up with the group in front of me and played the last 7 holes with them.

I never saw my hole in one either. Was uphill, into the sun....I knew I hit it, and we heard a lound bang. Someone said they saw it hit a sprinkler head.....so I'm looking on each side of the green....no one else was on the green, and I noticed a ball mark about a foot in front of the hole.

Went and peeked in the hole, and whoomp.....there it is.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ba-dum

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I usually shoot around the high 90s, but it isn't going to get any better because my kids fill up my weekends and my back is never going to allow me to play a ton. My driving is usually good, but my game 80 yards and in is abysmal.

With my job, I get to play on some insane courses for free -- played Trump National, Bayonne and Baltustrol this year out of my 5 rounds -- but the niceness of these courses is wasted on me. I'd just love one day to be competent enough to play bogey golf with a couple of pars thrown in.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Chef, that is indeed freaky.

I don't know though, I like the ProV1 better, but there was something about a balata ball, wasn't there?

I did something this summer I haven't done. I holed out, twice.

One I saw from about 75 yards. The other I didn't from about 50. The one I didn't see I was looking in the trap and over the green, then finally looked in the cup.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Moddy, in 1994 I was playing the municipal course in Vichy, France. Like many French cities, it has all of its recreational facilities in a central park area. That's how on the fifth hole, I managed to slice my drive into the fifth race coming down the backstretch of the racetrack. At least I didn't hit the favorite.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I loved the Professional ball, but they are hard to find anymore. The Tour Balata's were nice, but one slight mishit gave it a smily face from hell.

Now: I love me some Pro V's. I love the sound of it spinning after a crisp wedge from 110.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You can have the balatas, professionals, Top-Flites, Molitors, all those other balls. Nothing changed golf more in the past 30 years than the first Pro V1 and the subsequent advancements. Its no contest. The ball flies straighter, farther, its ridiculous. Yes the big head drivers and graphite shaft advancements have undoubtedly helped.

Example, compared to 15 years ago (I think that's when the Pro V came out), I was lucky to drive it 210. Now I had a slice/fade then. Now I get it out there 250 consistently, at times 275+. Funny thing though, is my 7 iron is still 145-155, same as with my original Wilson Staffs muscle back forged irons with steel shafts.

As for the hole in one, LAST THING ON MY BUCKET LIST!!! Oh so close but nada. Yet, my son when he was 7 got one his first time on a course he could reach the hole (75 yds.) Golf IS NOT FAIR!!!

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I agree that the Pro V is a great game changer, allowing better control and distance...

But I think the bigger headed drivers and improvements in wedges have more of an impact.

I can still hit the ball 250 with any ball. And I can get any ball to check. But I couldn't do that without my Taylormade driver and Cleveland wedge.

10. Key

Key Well-Known Member

My one and only hole-in-one came at Forest Hills in Augusta, Ga. No. 4, 150 yards uphill. Hit a 7-iron. I was in my own cart, but playing with three others, who absolutely butchered the hole. So I drive up next to the green, look over and don't see my ball. Two thoughts I had: stay here next to the cart in case it's in the hole and grab a sand wedge and be prepared to play out of the bunker.

One of the other guys chipped up, the ball went past the hole, hit the backstop and rolled right back toward the cup. I started feeling pretty good at that point. I had one of the other guys go by the hole to check on my ball. Sure enough it was in there. Cracked open a beer on the 5th tee in celebration, bought more at the turn and made it around in a smooth 40-47--87.

That story never gets old :D

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I haven't played Forest Hills in forever. Is No. 4 the on that the tee box is above the previous green? I think it's a par 5...

That's where I won my only career playoff in the AAJGA.

12. Key

Key Well-Known Member

bydesign77,
    They had a redesign sometime in the early 2000s, I believe. I moved to Augusta in '04, and never played the previous layout, so I'm not sure. The greens, though, were like concrete when I was there from '04-'06. It was frustrating watching wedges land in the front of a green only to bounce all the way to the back.

I only played Gordon Lakes once and only remember a par-3 with a pseudo island green. Maybe No. 7 or 8? I'm thinking that course has more than 18 holes there, though.

My favorite course in that area was probably Jones Creek.

Draft saved Draft deleted