1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golfing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gehrig, Oct 27, 2011.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

When I was learning the game, it helped me to play nine-hole rounds at some shorter courses (places that were like par-30 or 31). All those par 3s really help you with your chipping and putting, which is where the strokes add up the fastest.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Any teaching professional can get rid of your slice in 10 minutes. The lesson is well worth the money.

3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Like many others, my golf days have dwindled to a handful of rounds over one holiday weekend or another. Next up is probably Thanksgiving if the weather holds. I've played four or five times this year. I've shot 78-79 plenty of times, with a couple 77s as my low round. I just can't get the hands off my neck as I stumble down the stretch. I can relate to Chef's round-ending sequence. I've finished with many a double- or triple-bogey to shoot 80. Embarrassing.

If I only I could putt.

And qt, good to hear you're striking the ball better than ever at 48.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I have been playing for about 20 years. Started at 16.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My Dad's the same way. Only plays once a year now, in a charity event with me, and in the practice round is always around 80.

My golf goal has remained unchanged for 20-plus years: beat the old man. I eat, sleep and drink the game, he doesn't anymore, and I still can't beat him. Sigh.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I did manage my third career hole out a couple weeks back though in that round of 74.

9-iron from 154.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not to start a new thread.....

How many holes-in-one has anyone had on the board?

I have been lucky enough to have one:

July 28, 1999

220 yard par 3

4-iron

Have the ball, scorecard, and tee framed.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

jr jr the golf course czar
    he’ll wager a toonie you won’t shoot par

His mission is to enforce the rules
    And punish the golfers who act like tools.

While everyone is having a drink at the bar,
    He’s out in the parking lot checking your car.

It’s a beautiful day but jr is vexed
    The guy in his foursome is sending a text.

Don’t talk about work, don’t eat in the cart
    Go into the bushes if you have to fart.

In your honor I’m taking a leak on the green
    Fore!, jr, and God save the queen.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

July 16, 1993. Gordon Lakes Golf Course, Ft. Gordon, Ga.

No. 13, 153 yards. Was playing a Titlest 4, 100 compression. Hit an 8 iron. Bounced in front of the hole, spun back in. I was 16.

I didn't know it was in at first. Thought maybe it was just hiding behind the stick.

To top it all, I was playing alone until the previous green, when I reached the green in two on an uphill, 240-yard 3-wood on accident, hitting into the group ahead of me. I went up to apologize, they said, play the last six with them.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I shoot golf in the low 70s.

When it gets colder than that, I quit.

I've broken 90 once. Used to shoot in the low 90s pretty consistently. Haven't played a round in years and years. Probably couldn't break 120 on a dare now.

I have a terrible slice. I'd adjust my stance for it and deal with it. Went to a pro once, he worked with me for a while and saw I was hopeless. He came up behind me, adjusted my stance like I'd been doing and handed me back my 30 bucks.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Came extremely close on No. 2 at Lake Powell National. Hit it within two feet. I had no idea until I got to the green and a guy from the group in front of me said "you're really gonna like that." I don't think I've gotten within 10 feet of one since.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I played a busy public course in Fairfax County that cut two holes in each green. You'd play to one and then put the pin in the other for the next group. Something about wear and tear.
    Anyway, on a Par 3, I dunked on into the other cup on the green. That ought to count, right?

I won a ham at the annual Swine Tournament near me (great event) for closest to the pin. 18 inches.

Draft saved Draft deleted