1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golfing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gehrig, Oct 27, 2011.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Haven't played since 4th of July weekend. Used to be once a week.
    Guy who ran local course gave me privileges to play anytime I wanted. Was shooting in mid to upper 80s for a while. Got it down to 80, 81 a time or two. Just show up, grab a sweet tea and a cart and play as long as I'd like. I had covered his son in high school and I got to be pretty good friends with the family, and then they married into my extended family.
    He died of a heart attack in May. I haven't been back to that course since. Can't bring myself to do it. Don't think who's running it now would let me play until my fingers blistered and bled anyway.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Had a 300-yard drive last week. And now I'm banned from Putt-Putt.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I've arrived at a happy medium with the golf Gods. I'm a 16 handicap. My best friend, who designs golf clubs and is a part-time teacher, harps at me that with work, I can shoot in the high 70s all the time. I'm happy with the 80s and a rise into the 90s (with 1-2 rounds in the low 100s if I'm playing a brutal course in the wind) without grinding 3-4 hours on the range like he wants me to. If I have that much time, I'm playing 18, not digging in the dirt.

I've broken 80 three times. I'll never break 70, so why grind at my age (early 50s)?

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

My one round this year I was one-over going into #9, a short par-5 with water about 250 from the tee. After a good 3-wood off the tee, hit two in the drink and one OB. Took a tidy 11, which was only my second worse hole for the day (a nice 12 on the back nine).

Ten-plus years ago I'd play at least twice a week and practice at least twice a week (one day at the range, another on the putting green). Normally would shoot low 80s (a few under 80 and a few pushing 90 but generally 81-84) but I've always been an awful putter (one round I shot 84 with 43 putts). Now I play once or twice a year if that. Knee, shoulder and back issues, not to mention a total lack of time to devote to playing more plus my best buddy who was my playing partner passed away a couple years back.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Handicap generally stays between 12 and 15, and by the end of the year I'll have played about 50 rounds in 2011. I've parred the No. 1 handicap hole at the place where I usually play the last two times out, so now I think I'm ready to send in my application to join the PGA Tour.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Played today, shot 89. When I play a lot, I can shoot in the 80s consistently. But "playing a lot" is the impossible dream, though if you knew where I worked, you'd say I have zero excuses. But the wife and daughter still like me, and to keep it that way I don't play on weekends.

And Gehrig, invest in a lesson or two for that slice and whatever else you're working on. Best money you'll spend as a somewhat-new golfer.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I used to play four to five days a week. I worked nights; wife worked days. I'd go play at the course next door. 82 was my best ever. I was consistent at 82 on this course.

I don't play much anymore. Too busy with work and the kids. And most of my free time is spent on my motorcycle.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My career round is a 68. My lowest handicap was 1.2. It's probably around an 8 or 9 now. I used to play 5 days a week, now it's 5 to 10 a year.

I can pick up the clubs and shoot mid-80s no problem.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I love golf.

I usually hit around the high 70s to low 80s...

....oh, you mean a score through 18 holes?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sure.

Take a lesson. And then another. And another. And another.

Then play for a year and work on the stuff you learned.

Then take some more lessons.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You remind me of my dad who was between a scratch and 5 handicap from his 20's to 30's.

There was a period of time when he only played a couple of times a year and would shoot an 82.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Unless you've got a great job and an unbelievably understanding wife, it's tough to play much golf in your 30s and 40s.

I work on the copy desk, am 39, and enjoying spending time with my wife and kids, so ...

... if I golf five rounds a year, I'm lucky.

Damn shame, too, because I like the game and now live where there are a bunch of kick-ass public courses, with green fees in the $20-40 range if you walk.

Draft saved Draft deleted