1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golfer's elbow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 23, 2010.

  1. Smallpotatoes

    Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

    For about three weeks, I've had pain in my right elbow/forearm on the same side as the little finger. I'm told that's called golfer's elbow (tennis elbow, I guess, is on the other side of the elbow).
    I haven't played golf in a very long time, but I lift weights. Pressing movements don't bother it, but pulling movements (rows, pulldowns, kettlebell cleans) do. It also hurts to wash my hair and brush my teeth (though I still do those things).
    I've tried ice and anti-inflamitories. I've stayed away from kettlebells for a while. Because I'm right-handed, I can only rest it so much.
    Has anyone else had that ailment? I do plan on seeing a doctor about it, but what do they usually prescribe? Is there any sort of physical therapy involved? Will I have to learn to be left-handed for a while?
  2. slappy4428

    slappy4428 Active Member

    In every way imaginable...
  3. Rhody31

    Rhody31 Well-Known Member

    I had it bad a couple years ago and it still flares up here and there. You can get wraps that help it out, but rest is the best thing for it.
  4. DocTalk

    DocTalk Active Member

    The technical name for golfer's elbow is medial epicondylitis. Muscles that flex the fingers and wrist attach on a bump of bone on the humerus. Overuse causes the insertion point on the bone to inflame.

    Treatment initially includes rest, anti-inflammatories and ice. After an initial rest period, treatment includes stretching and strengthening the muscles of the forearm. Sometimes a tennis elbow splint (Nischl splint) may help alter the fulcrum of the muscloe insertion and allow earlier return to play.

    A physical therapist or sports trianer can help guide exercises. Steroids and surgery are rarely needed, but the patient needs to be patient awaiting cure.
  5. BTExpress

    BTExpress Well-Known Member

    A simple air cast was a lifesaver for me a couple of years ago when I had tennis elbow.

    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. mustangj17

    mustangj17 Active Member

    The best medicine for overuse injuries like golfer's elbow, tennis elbow, little league elbow, or porn elbow is rest.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

    TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

    Some info: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=golfer%27s+elbow
  8. Porn elbow - and porn palm - is the worst ... ... ... So I have heard.
  9. BTExpress

    BTExpress Well-Known Member

    Yes. But most people want to know, "What can I do about this . . . and still play?"

    I took a few days off. But I was going to exhaust every other avenue before I shut it down for 2 months. Air cast and change of strings and tension did the trick.
  10. mustangj17

    mustangj17 Active Member

    RICE - Rest, Ice, Compresion, Elevation.

    And maybe some motrin. There's not much else you can do.
  11. Smallpotatoes

    Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

    So, don't wash my hair for a while?
  12. mustangj17

    mustangj17 Active Member

    I anticipate your next thread.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page