1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf Trip to Ireland and Scotland

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by You're With Me Leather, Jan 1, 2008.

1. All,

My father turns 60 this year and my brothers and I have decided to take him on a golf trip to the Scotland, Ireland, etc.
    None of us have been there before and have no idea how to plan such a trip. Any resources or ideas we should consider?
    Obviously, we'd like to hit the famed places like St Andrews,, Turnberry, Ballbunion, etc. But maybe some others that are off the beaten path. Also, if we end up doing this trip around the British Open, are tickets for the event relatively easy to come by?
    Thanks for the help.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I might check with a travel agent who could give you some tips. Hell, who knows, you might end up with a good deal on the trip and golf, or something.

Here's a link where you could get some ideas, at least. http://www.golfvacationsireland.com/

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Northern Ireland has some great courses and the scenery over there is unreal. I was just there in August although I didn't play this time. Last time, I played Royal Portrush at the top of Northern Ireland. Awesome course. Only one in Ireland ever to host the British Open and used to host the British Senior Open. I played with a farmer from Scotland who said it was better than all of the courses in the British Open rotation except Carnoustie. He said St. Andrews isn't much unless the wind blows. Portrush was pretty reasonable too. Something like 55 pounds when I played it. I wanted to play County Down but it's in the $220 range. I don't pay that much to play anywhere. There's also a course called Old Head at the bottom of Ireland that looks spectacular. It's on a peninsula and looks like Pebble Beach. Google is to see what I mean. But that's really expensive too.

5. Portmarnock otuside of Dublin.
    Also Carton House in Kildare.

6. check out thegolfspot.com, they are friends of mine and tell them what you do for living...if your in the newspaper/broadcast biz, tell them that. good golfering

7. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Western Gailes Golf Club in Ayrshire.

The European Club.

Two suggestions from a guy I know what goes across the pond annually.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

I had one of the great weeks of my life playing Doonbeg, on the west coast of Ireland, not far from Shannon. A spectacular course, great Irish caddies, fabulous bartender piping fresh Guinness. It's relatively new -- maybe three or four years old -- designed by Greg Norman, built by the Kiawah Island folks.

They are very media friendly, too -- if you write golf, you could probably wrangle a couple of rounds for free.

Loved it there, a whole lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted