1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf for Women shuts down

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Magazines getting hurt, too. From The Pipeline:

Staff told today that Golf for Women is shutting down immediately. Chance some staffers will be absorbed by the other Conde mags, Digest, etc., but most will be out of luck.

2. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

I suspect the problem -- or one of them, at least -- can be found in Sunday's leaderboard:

P&G BEAUTY NW ARKANSAS CHAMPIONSHIP, FINAL ROUND COMPLETE
    PLAYER SCORE HOLE
    1 Seon Hwa Lee -15 F
    2 Jane Park -14 F
    2 Meena Lee -14 F
    4 Karen Stupples -13 F
    4 Ai Miyazato -13 F
    4 Kristy McPherson -13 F
    4 Angela Park -13 F
    8 Na Yeon Choi -12 F
    8 Eun-Hee Ji -12 F
    10 Inbee Park -11 F
    11 Katherine Hull -10 F
    11 Hee-Won Han -10 F
    11 Cristie Kerr -10 F
    11 Jeong Jang -10 F
    15 Giulia Sergas -9 F
    15 Soo-Yun Kang

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Why do you hate Asia, Monroe?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if the pros have much to do with it. Golf's a pricey leisure pursuit that gets clobbered when the economy is bad, and when you're trying to sell a product to a small fraction of that already-strapped market (and get advertisers on board), it's gotta be near-impossible.

5. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Some more details:

http://www.wwd.com/issue/article/126276

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

NY Post reported that GFW was going to lose about $7 million this year. Two dozen or so people shown the door.

And I had no idea that GFW was still printing.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ann Ligouri has no idea why she just kicked a poodle.

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Somehow, my cat ended up on the comp mailing list for GFW. I kid you not ... my female cat received every issue for GFW for the past three years.

I'll say it again, slowly. Somehow, my 17-year-old female cat had the right demographics to receive Golf For Women magazine for free, every issue, for the past three years.

Needless to say, my cat cannot read, let alone play golf.

So if you're looking for a reason GFW lost money during its existence, look no further than the fact that my cat received free issues since 2005.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My subscription has three years left... I better have a check coming...

10. I love that you added that.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who knew petsmeds.com was selling customer lists?
    You'd think my dogs would get a Golf Digest or two?

12. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

P.O.: You've got the wrong guy. I actually follow golf -- all golf. I certainly wouldn't be paying attention to women's golf if I had this "hate" for Asians. But let's not have an intelligent discussion about why a magazine on women's golf might be going belly up. Let's not talk about the issues the sport might be facing -- like an increasing lack of diversity, which makes it harder to sell to a broader audience. Let's not talk about the last two majors being won by players (Yani Tseng, Inbee Park) who had never won an LPGA Tour event before. Let's just throw the word "hate" around. That way you don't have to try to understand anything. Always a good approach in journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted