1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf for the rank beginner

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

much like Martinis and womens breasts.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

dixie ... get the lesson if you want to. Or even better, go out there with that 12-pack, hit 110 with some friends and enjoy the hell out of it.

It's the good thing about this. You DON'T have to be good. Sometimes, it's just about the company. If you want to get better, then that's cool, too. But just get yourself to the point where you can get the ball up in the air off the tee and go from there.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey Dixie. Since I dont have to cover anything this weekend becuse of the possibility of the chance of the swine flu somewhere in this state, I'll golf. Ms. Slappy has been eager to play too. She'll spot you 50 yards off the tee and 50 yards to the right...

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You're good ... :)

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

My dad still calls all shorts cut-offs..

What I do like about golf is that I get a good tan. I hate a farmer tan so I take my t-shirt off at the first tee box and oil up :D

6. The first thing you should do is get the idea of shooti g a "good" score out of your head, because it's not going to happen for a while.

I had a lesson a couple years ago where the pro told me that only 30 percent of your average weekend hackers will break 100, and only 20 percent of that original 30 percent will break 90.

I broke 80 for the first time last year after 11 years of playing golf and thats only because I had 5 birdies to go with my 10 bogeys. So even when I scored well I didn't particularly play well, but thats how golf is.

So to echo others, just try to have fun and keep the pace of play going. Golf is a rhythm sport and it's hard to get a rhythm when it takes 5 or 6 hours to play a round.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That post made me laugh. Not at you, but....well, yeah, at you a little. :)

Mostly that you didn't realize you picked up a left-handed club and that you didn't know how to hold the club.

You have at least watched other people golf before, right? At least on TV?

But Shotty's right. Grab some beer (if that's your thing), shoot whatever and have a good time.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe get a copy of this book:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And that's why I gave up golf: I didn't feel like I was improving in the only way that most people care about. (That, and the fact that I didn't really enjoy playing golf.)

There are plenty of enjoyable activities where nobody's keeping score.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yup. One of the best out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I feel like there is too much pressure put on golfers of today to score. They no longer allow golfers to be golfers.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Our neighbour and friend is a greenskeeper for St. George's G & CC, a Stanley Thompson course and home of the 2010 Canadian Open. Inititation fees (if you can get in) are in the $60,000 range.

Here's their dress code. You wouldn't make it past the driveway with jeans on.

http://www.stgeorges.org/index.cfm?ID=1340

This is my favourite:

Socks

Full length socks to just below the knee without stripes and ped socks (sockettes – socks at ankle bone length or lower) are permissible. Mid-calf length socks may only be worn with pants and not with shorts. Above ankle socks may not be rolled down to ped sock length

And cell phones are stricitly prohibited on the course

This is Uber Wasp Land.

Draft saved Draft deleted