1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf for the rank beginner

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1) Replace your divots
    2) Fix ballmarks on the greens
    3) Rake the bunker after use

Can't tell you how many times I fixed a half-dozen marks on a green. Also, people who make no attempt to replace their divots and don't rake bunkers should be kicked off the course - immediately. It requires minimal skill, and it's not much effort. Put it like this ... would you want to hit out of a fried-egg lie in the bunker because some lazy numbskull didn't rake it ahead of you? Or just as bad, hit out of a divot hole in the fairway after mashing that drive waaaay down there?

Yeah, me neither.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Isn't it remarkable how carts haven't done a darn thing to speed up play?

I'll admit, I'm a walking-golf snob. Hate riding. I'll get some cross looks on the first tee when I'm paired with guys in carts, but on a packed weekend they quickly find out it doesn't make a bit of difference that I'm walking.

3. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Can we define what "cut-offs" are. I'm guessing jeans that have been cut off..stupid question, I know..

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I began playing golf casually about three and a half years ago now. I was always afraid to never get on a real course and just stick to par threes and the driving range for fear of pissing people off who were behind me.

But on many an occasion, I got in front of people who were just as bad as I was. That par five that took me about 15 strokes took the guy behind me 17. That kind of calmed me down quite a bit, too, especially because when you play at shitty courses, that's the kind of clientele that the place draws.

Then again, I've also let my fair share of people play through while I've shanked away many a shot worry about what they're thinking.

Fact of the matter is that other people suck at golfing too. Just be respectful, be honest with yourself and others and it'll be a grand old time.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dude - 15 stokes ???? If I was playing behind you I would come up to next tee and beat you over the head with my driver and plead temporary insanity.

You need to pick up after 8 strokes and move on unless you are playing Wii golf in the comfort of your living room.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Well, I'm referring to my first time out on the course. 'Twas a disaster.

Things are much more smooth now - though they still could be better.

7. Boom_70

ok then keep your head down and carry on.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

15? I would put an ice pick through your temple.

9. Boom_70

Why do you carry an ice pick in your golf bag?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The correct answer, of course, is "ball mark repair."

11. Boom_70

I was thinking emergency green aeration.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2 is right...

Draft saved Draft deleted