1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf Digest's My Shot: Boo Weekley

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Pretty funny stuff.
    The My Shot is my favorite part of Golf Digest.

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2007/12/myshot_weekley?currentPage=1

Excerpt:
    One Friday night when I was 16, a bunch of us went to the county fair. A truck pulled in there, sort of away from the midway, and we watched a guy get out and put together a big cage he had in the bed of the truck. After he got the cage together, he put up a little table. Then he went to the cab of the truck and brings out an orangutan. He starts yelling: "Five to win fifty! Who can beat the orangutan? Pay $5 to try and get $50 if you can whip him!"

We'd never seen anything like that before. We decided that one of us had to try, and I drew the short straw. Five of us put up a buck each, and I gave the guy with the truck $5. Before helping me into the boxing gloves and headgear, he made me sign a waiver. Looking back, that was a bad sign.

I got in the ring. The orangutan didn't look like much. He came up about to my chest, though his arms were as long as he was tall. When the match started, he didn't lift his arms. He kept them down at his side and used them to pivot and follow me as I circled him like Muhammad Ali. I just didn't see how I could miss. My strategy was to fake with my right hand, and when the orangutan tried to block the punch, I'd throw my left.

My buddies were going wild. "Get him, Boo! Kick his butt!" They really wanted that $50. I moved in close and faked with my right, and that's the last thing I remember. I woke up bleeding in the back of a friend's pickup. The orangutan had knocked me cold with one punch, which I didn't even see coming. My friends thought it was hilarious. They said I had a glass jaw and called me "Glassy" the rest of the night.

Kindred also has a pretty good feature.
    http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2007/12/kindred

Thumbs down to the magazine for its Hollywood section and putting Jack Nicholson on the cover, along with an interview, and doing a list of the top Hollywood golfers.

I don't give a shit.

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Don't they do best golfers in Washington, too?

I did see the Boo thing but skipped past to come back to it later... guess I'll have to make later sooner.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

How about the top CEO golfers? Has that been done?

I keep my G.D. subscription going for Kindred and the other columnists and My Shot, but the covers consistently suck. I have made peace with the mediocrity of my golf game and no longer need covers and 50 pages every month touting swing tips.

4. I skip all that crap too; "Add 10 yards to your drives!" and "Tiger's putting tips"
    I do enjoy (the limited) golf-related articles and features they do, by Kindred and Yocum.

Dan Jenkins column are little more than nonsensical ramblings. I tried reading his latest and quit halfway through.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

One of the saddest sideproducts of this business . . . nobody's great, all the time.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Boo, by the way, is playing in the World Cup in China next week with Heath Slocum. I think they're going to have to go through this procedure for PCs: Boo talks, Heath translates Booisms into English, Chinese interpreter transplates it into Chinese.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I read all of the tips. That way when I go to play or even just head over to the range I can have different thoughts going through my head on every swing.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I gained 10 yards off the tee from every tip I've seen in G.D. that promises 10 more yards, my average drive would be 3.2 miles. Which would be promptly followed by a shanked half-wedge, an indifferent chip and three putts. Another %&#&! double bogey.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

The Nicholson Q&A was pretty interesting. I didn't realize he was such an avid golfer.

Draft saved Draft deleted