1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf Digest 50 best 19th holes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Golf Digest rates the 50 best 19th holes in the country. Sadly, many are private.
    On the upside, two of them (public) are in Pinehurst, N.C. area. I'm heading down there at the end of the month for a weekend outing and plan to add that to my trip list.

The Links Club, C.B. MacDonald's place, in NYC sounds really neat.

http://www.golfdigest.com/rankings/19thholes?currentPage=1

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You won't experience most of what's on the list unless you're a touring pro or you are VERY well connected. For John Q. Public, the list is worthless.

3. I've had me some beers at The Country Club.
    The atmosphere is transplendent.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not quite so bad as all that, though Wynn in Vegas will cost any stranger walking in off the street an arm and a leg . . . can vouch for Cog Hill (open to the public . . .) . . . first-rate.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I kind of thought that too. Only 20 or so of the 50 were at public courses, and some of those were Wynn; Kauai, Hawaii; Pebble Beach. Well, duh, I'm sure the views are nice there with some good chow. But probably no $5 pitchers of Lite!

Golf Digest can't do many lists that don't prop Oakmont, Pine Valley, Winged Foot, etc. If they compiled a list of best parking lots it would have most of the same courses.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

They're doing a list of drinking spots without consulting Jones? For shame!

7. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

JQP can at least enjoy the bar at West Seattle Golf Course. That's got to be one of the only places on this list where a round of golf is under 30 bucks (or close to it anyway) and you can buy 24 oz. cans of beer.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Know what? You don't need Golf Digest to bless your favorite 19th hole.

The best? When you've just had a ball with three of your buddies for 5 hours and you've got a hall pass to down a few with your buddies while the sun is still shining. I'd take that over any of the "Top 50" any day.

9. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

well said, sir, well said

Draft saved Draft deleted