1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Jul 27, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

One of our guys suggested we don't cover an AJGA event in town because it's at a hectic time. I told him that would be ridiculous since the people who follow that stuff are the ones who still buy the paper.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The ones cutting the travel budgets for golf writers are the Republican publishers.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

And with one fell swoop you dismiss the massive left-wing conspiracy.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Frankly (no pun intended), I thought you were on to something.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I am an avid, good golfer and love covering the sport, as I have for years, but it's a waste of time and money for newspapers to send writers to events other than local tour events (if you have them) and the masters and U.S. Open maybe.

But when Tiger Woods is playing and he's the whole story and access to him away from the podium is nonexistent, what good is it going to do having your own writer there? What in his or her copy is going to compell readers to read them and not Doug Ferguson or Mike Lopersti or whomever?

All such a golf beat is good for is rewarding a good writer who has paid the dues, but that kind of thinking doesn't cut it in these days of slashed staffs and sliced budgets. It's a luxury.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Golf readers spend lots of money.

Risky cutbacks.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You're not ignoring the story, you're using AP coverage. And, as someone said above, when everyone is working from the same single shot at Tiger Woods, does it make that much difference who writes the story?

8. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

I don't, of course, like to see good writers lose their jobs, but this is one time the newspaper execs might have it right. In tough economic times, it is very expensive to travel and in golf, if you're lucky you might have one or two ''home tournaments.'' And it's a long season, longer than baseball and it's like sending the baseball writer on the road for spring from spring training through the World Series and then some.

Our golf writer covers the local golf scene, among other duties, and covers the PGA whenever there is something close. We do, however, give decent space for golf, especially the major tournaments. Of course, we're a mid-size and never had a writer travel, although he might have gone to the Masters at times.

In general, there might be better ways for that money to be spent. Of course, whether or not that money is being spent wisely is another matter.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was simply awesome.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know many fans who actively root for a particular golfer week in and week out, like they do team sports. And while I get safely behind a nearby couch to avoid being pelted with all variety of rotting vegetables, I'd say golf (local goings-on) is one area that can be covered hyperlocally by "citizen journalists." Not covered well, mind you, but covered well enough.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

Unless you can follow local golfers, a newspaper might not see where it would benefit readers. It's not like there is an entire season. Only large papers can go the majors, and most other papers can only cover tournaments in the area.

Also, I wonder how much you can do as a golf writer. At most, there might be two columns a week. With decling space, one column a week would seem more likely.

How can somebody writing golf compete with Doug Ferguson? How can a local guy keep up with 150 PGA members, more players on the LPGA and Champions Tour? I'm not saying it can't be done, but how do you beat this guy?

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I know lots of people who not only root for golfers week in and week out but NASCAR drivers as well. Can't figure out either, especially the latter.

Draft saved Draft deleted