1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf Course In Hot Water Over 9/11-themed Advertised Special

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Sep 10, 2013.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Checked and saw no D-B here....

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/wisconsin-golf-course-taking-heat-for-insensitive-sept-11-ad-091013/

Why can't some business owners THINK before deciding on something this stupid, rather than realize repercussions after word gets out?

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What, golfers can't take a moment of silence and save money at the same time?

3. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/national/homework-assignment-911-anniversary-causes-outrage/nZwf2/

This isn't a thread hijack, but I starting to think we should set up an all-purpose "9-11 Stupidity" thread, what with the golf course, the item I reference above, and one other that slips my mind at the moment (I'm too busy trying to honor those who lost their lives in the attack....remember?).

These kids would have just been a little older than toddlers when the attack hit. Does this kind of thing make any sense to anybody out there? If so, why? For those of you -- like me -- who think this is a solemn event and it's just getting exploited by this stupidity, please weigh in, too.

OK, gang....Have at....

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm in the camp that says it's okay to keep living your life, not feeling bad or allowing others to make you feel bad if your birthday or anniversary or whatever positive event happened on Sept. 11 and to keep you from celebrating ... but, yeah, that classroom assignment was in poor taste.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course this particular kerfuffle was pushed over into overt stupidity when the professional butt-hurters, outrage farmers and 9/11 flag-wavers,

... got into the act.

The assignment was poorly thought through, but anybody who is not a moron, which of course leaves out "the crew at Fox and Friends," understands the kids were not being assigned to write a suicide note -- they were not supposed to have made the decision to die themselves -- but to communicate feelings to significant others in the face of near-certain death.

Probably not a good asssignment for most 12-13 year-olds. But for those who understood what it was really about, it could indeed be revealing.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Outrage Farmers would be a great name for a band.

Draft saved Draft deleted