1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf column gone wrong

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Not an Alan Shipnuck fan by any stretch, but I give him some respect for this column.
    He got called out - face-to-face - for lazy, throwaway graph and came away a better person for it. I give him a lot of credit for the follow up.

A PGA champion and columnist lock horns over a harsh critique, then learn from it

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Shipnuck's been around the game long enough, I'd have thought he knew about Micheel burying both of his parents and his love/hate relationship with golf over the years since the win. That "worst player to win a major" story was clickbait crap. But yeah, it worked out in the end with that column.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Micheel was being drilled by golf writers such as Jenkins almost immediately for having the audacity to win a major that had Tiger and Phil in it. The guy never had a chance in some eyes. Of course this goes back to that sense of entitlement that career golf writers have in praying fervently that only stars win majors. This went back to Jack and Arnold and Hogan, and woe betide the Jack Fleck, Charles Coody or Wayne Grady who had the utter nerve to shoot the lowest 72-hole score in those events. In later years, whenever a Micheel, Beem, Weir, Curtis or Campbell won, these writers bitched to high heaven in media centers, if not actually in their articles/commentary, instead of doing their fucking job and finding out about relative unknown guys, then writing stories to introduce them to their readers. Not to single out golf writers, because it's also true in NASCAR and tennis. Only in team sports are underdogs embraced at the biggest championships.

Draft saved Draft deleted