1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf club suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 4, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Thread-jacking my own thread here, but this reminds me of an article I recently read in one of the golf mags in which the writer suggested that golf would be a better game if the hole were bigger, because then there's be less emphasis on putting and more on shotmaking. The point was that hitting a three-footer is not so much about having a good stroke, but about nerve. If the hole were bigger (say 8 inches across), and 6-foot putts were gimmes, you'd be rewarded more for a good approach. Now, you'll probalby 2-putt from 6-feet the same as you would from 25 feet. It would also speed up play a lot.

I realize there is no way this would ever ever ever happen for a variety of reasons, but it's an interesting thought.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that's beyond ridiculous. Did that story suggest windmills too?

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Best advice I've ever heard for making putts.

And you can do this in your own basement or garage if you want.

Put a piece of toilet paper down.

Land the ball in the middle.

Cash checks.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

No it isn't. It's another ridiculous effort to devalue putting, which many pro golfers view as a "pussy" element of the game and an excuse for mediocre or poor work with the flatstick.

Making a must-have 4-5 footer is as much a part of golf as hitting a 5-iron to 5 feet or blasting a 320-yard drive. But golf culture bestows a macho element to the latter elements and a "luck" element to the former. This is why all you hear about Ben Hogan was how "snakebit" he was later in his career because he would hit 17 greens a round and shoot 71.

Bullshit. Had St. Ben bothered to work on his putting the way he worked on his ball-striking, he would have shot 63 and blown away the field. But it wasn't important enough to work on because it wasn't "macho."

You look at the two greatest golfers in history: Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods. Not only are they superb ball-strikers, but every time they HAD to make a putt, the ball was in the back of the cup. No excuses, no whining. Whenever they didn't putt well, they said it and blamed the puttee, not the process.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I just meant it was interesting that anyone in a real golf magazine would suggest such a radical change.

To me it'd be like saying: "Let's take all of the kicking out of football, because kickers aren't football players."

Draft saved Draft deleted