1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf club suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The Sonartec is a good hybrid -- if you're a better player. Otherwise, you're better off with one of the Adams Ideas, which are awesome.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Says golf boy....

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I have a 23-degree 4/5 Cobra hybrid that I hit about 210-220 yards, and much more accurately than my irons.

By comparison I hit a 4-iron about 180, 185 and the 5-iron about 170.

Love the hybrid clubs.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

I was never a fan of the hybrids, until I got a Ping 22* Hybrid about a year ago.

Love it, love it, love it.

The 22* is essentially a 4-iron, which goes about 220-225. Off the tee, I can stretch it to around 240, but I echo everybody else's sentiments about getting properly fitted.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Lee Trevino who said, "Even God couldn't hit a one iron"?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A hacker friend of mine has a 1-iron and it is an absolute endless source of ribbing from the rest of us. And he's lefthanded, so we're always asking him how the hell he even found it.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Really, get a hybrid or two, take a 4 wood maybe, then concentrate on your wedge game, chipping and pitching (and of course putting). Really.

Think about how many times you are really going to need to green something from 210-230. Yeah its a great thing to have but your short game is going to come into play more often.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I believe it was after he got hit by lightning. He said something like if he was ever caught in lightning again, he'd hold up a 1-iron because even God can't hit a 1-iron.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to go into a good golf shop and talk to one of the salespeople and hit a few in there.

I really feel like I need something, because I have no reliable club in my bag to hit the ball more than 200 yards. It would be nice on par 5s or on par 4s with a lay-up tee shot.

What usually happens is I just hit my 3-iron (which I do hit faily consistently), but if I'm like 300 out on a par 5, that leaves me 110 or so instead of being able to just hit a 60 or 70 yard approach. Not a huge difference, I know.

Just the other day I was playing a course and there were three par 4s where I wanted to be about 210-240 off the tee, and I had nothing. My driver typically goes 235-260 (and lately I've laid into a couple freak shots that went 270 or 280), so I didn't want to use it and take a chance, and the 3-iron left me too short.

Does anyone else have one of these Orlimar Tri-metals? Maybe I just need some tips on how to hit the damn thing. It's just such a narrow face that I seem to blade it a lot. The good thing is the ball usually rolls 120 yards straight when I do.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I seem to recall him saying something like that but, hell, he played with Nicklaus often enough to know better.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, after he was struck by lightning, he said "only God can hit a 1-iron"

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

There's better than Orlimar out there.
    Adams. Cobra, sonartec are all pretty good. Look for something in the 17-20 degree range. that should get you something for those 200-220 shots.
    then you should dump the 3-iron and add a third wedge. And then you should procede to the practice range and practice nothing but shots from 100-yards and in for about an hour, and then go to the practice bunker for an hour and hit nothing but bunker shots, and then you should spend an hour making 3-foot putts.
    you'll shave more strokes off you game by improving your short game. guaranteed.

Draft saved Draft deleted