1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf club suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 4, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I have a hole in my bag. I hit my 3-iron around 190-200, then I have an old Orlimar Trimetal that's really my only fairway wood. When I hit it right, it goes around 220, but it's so inconsistent and hard to hit that it's almost useless (can't hit off a bad lie at all, or even an uneven lie in the middle of the fairway).

So I'm looking for something that I can use for that 210-230 range, that I can hit off a tee, off the fairway, or even out of the rough.

Suggestions?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, blame the arrow and not the archer.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

One-iron. Hybrid. I hit a 3-iron about as far as you do and make do with a 3-wood and 5-wood for those sort of distances. Out of the rough, though, if you're that far away and thinking of bringing out anything with less loft than a 3-iron, you're asking for trouble.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The hybrid clubs have been a godsend for my game.

You can hit pretty much out of anything.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Don't join one.

6. accguy

accguy Member

I would say a lower-lofted hybrid. Another option would be to buy the original Tour Edge Exotics fairway wood off of eBay. You can get the original now for about 100-150 bucks. That thing has one of the hottest faces I have ever seen.

The hybrid would certainly be better out of the rough, however.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I tried playing golf with arrows, but it made nasty divots in the green. :)

Seriously, I'm not saying it's a bad club. It's just probably designed for players better than me.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Have you tried a brassie? /spnited

9. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

from ask the expert, golf magazine, early 80's:

Dear Pro,"I hit my 1 iron about 220 but it veers offline about 10 yards at the end, what should I do?"

Ask the expert, "turn pro."

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You;ll get more distance out of a 3-iron hybrid than a regular 3 iron. you may want to tri a 2 iron hybrid.
    The best ones on the market are sonartek. THey set up well, but they hit amazing.

11. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Get fitted by a professional. It makes a ton of difference, especially with the long-irons and driver. They're able to match the right flex in your shaft with the proper launch angle.

At the very least, go to a demo day at the local range where about a dozen vendors have their clubs out for you to test. That way you'll see true ball flight instead of some simulator.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

This is very true. Proper fitting is the difference. Not brand.

Draft saved Draft deleted