1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

golf club advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 18, 2010.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

The only problem with buying an adult set and cutting it down will be the weight, and that could cause some swing issues. If you are going to go that route, look for a used set of ladies' clubs; they're typically lighter and easier to control.

As far as selection: A wood, maybe two irons (long and short), a wedge and a putter.

Another thing to think about, too, are golf balls. A lower compression, like a Noodle or a ladies' ball would be good, but that'll be after the swing is developed. But getting a ball that can be compressed properly (not a Pro-Vx) will make a difference. That goes for the higher handicappers on here as well. You'll get better control and distance if you don't have a high swing speed.

You should be able to find a used junior set somewhere. Go with that.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

There is no need for a kid to use a ProV1x until they fully develop a swing only for the cost - they are not cheap and there's no need for Jr. to be throwing away 3 bucks every time he dumps one in a lake.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Couldn't disagree more. Lessons are crucial, especially just as you're starting out, to keep the beginner from developing bad habits with their swing, to teach them etiquette -- which is almost as important as how they actually play -- and to teach the basics of the game.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Agree with you 100%. Worst thing is to let the kiddies what they think is "natural". Get them some basic lessons from a local pro---and at least teach them the fundamentals, and as you mention, etiquette.

Used to hack around with two of my boys at the local club by our cottage--mostly par three with gorse like St. Andrew's. My eldest was OK but his swing looked awkward. Took him and his bro for lessons and the pro said to ER, the eldest, "Well, the first problem is you're probably a left handed golfer" He was but we didn't have any left handed clubs at the cottage. Should have clued in. He's right handed but shoots left in hockey and bats left in baseball

5. CR19

CR19 Member

When I was a young kid, my parents bought me clubs at Play It Again Sports. I played for maybe a year, and then I didn't play again until I was 15. I actually was able to pick up a decent swing in that time-frame without constantly working on bad habits (still shoot horribly, but I look decent while doing it) ;). If your kids are going to play frequently, I'd sign them up for lessons as well. Just don't sign them up for a Hank Haney Golf Performance Institute or something like that. A simple lesson with your local pro is all you need.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

CR19, amen.

When all three of my kids were playing hockey, practically all their hockey equipment from the time they were five to about ten or eleven came from Play It Again.

Goalie skates, pads, helmets, chest protectors, blocker and trapper, player skates, shoulder pads, pants, knee pads, elbow pads, you name it

7. CR19

CR19 Member

Don't thank me (although I appreciate it). 93Devil was the first one with the idea.

8. Unless they sell online, Play it again is not an option.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My advice on not getting right into the lessons is based on letting the kid decide whether this is something he/she wants to do before getting immersed into the formalities of it. If you overwhelm them with the formalities that's going to be a turn off.

When there's been discussion of the present v. the past, one of the overriding points is "well no one goes to the local school and plays pick up anymore, its just organized sports." That's what I mean by just letting them swing the club and hit the ball at the start. Who cares if they start out wrong at the start? Let them decide to approach it their way first to see if they like it, then indoctrinate them. Otherwise, its that whole organized approach right away. I hate that.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's npt a bad idea, QT.

The only problem with just letting him go out and hit, is if he sucks at it, doesn't get the ball airborne and stuff like that, it probably makes it even tougher for him to get into it.

Set him up with one quick half hour lesson for just the basics, which gives him a chance for some success at it. With the lesson, he'll be able to judge whether he really likes it or dislikes on its merit, not hating because he sucks at it.

11. CR19

CR19 Member

Lessons are a good idea. Just look for a coach who isn't obsessed with trying to create PGA Tour talent. There's a coach in my area whose great with these types of things. He isn't too over-bearing, but he knows how to teach the basics in a kid-friendly way.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Not arguing, I'm just of the mind that my boys will decide whether they like it or not innately, which means deciding whether they are good or not based on their own criteria (e.g. does it feel good to swing the club, see the ball go) not how far it goes in the air, do they hit ground balls, or miss. Lessons help of course, but I think they get enough instruction in school (and other youth sports) as it is, I want them to figure some things out for themselves first.

Draft saved Draft deleted