1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

golf club advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 18, 2010.

1. No. 1, who is 7, wants to try golf.
    Should I buy a used set of clubs? If so where is the best place to find used kids clubs? A flea market, the weekly trader? The local muni or CC? On line?
    Or should I head to Walmart or Dicks and buy a new set?
    I looked on line and used sets were about as expensive as a new set.

Opinions.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's completely hit or miss, but I find that my fiancee and I get some great stuff at the local consignment shop for pennies on the dollar.

Got a car seat for $4, a jogging stroller for $3, a TV for $1 (yes, $1 and it works perfectly fine), among other great bargains. When shopping for a young kid, who's just going to outgrow the stuff in less than a year anyway, best to just keep stopping in and checking out inventory until you find it.

Regardless of where you get them, I wouldn't bother with new clubs.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I would look for a used set of adult-sized clubs and take them to a golf shop. They should be able to measure your kid and cut them down to his size, add some new grips and you'll be in business for (at most) half of what you'd pay for a set of kids clubs.

Plus I would only go with a driver, 5-6 irons and a putter. If he starts playing and continues to show an interest in the sport, then you can add some clubs along the way.

4. Yeah .. that's all he needs - four clubs max.
    having a set cut down and regripped would be cheaper? Really?

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

When I started playing, my dad bought me a kid's set (I was about 7, too) and if I remember correctly it had a driver, 3-iron, 5-iron, 7-iron, 9-iron and putter. Again, if I remember correctly, all I ever used was the driver and 5-iron most of the time.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Amazing to go into a Golfsmith or the like and see what they offer for kids now. To think I was trying to learn the game with my Dad's Tommy Armour blades, yikes. I totally blame him for me not being a scratch player now. Heh.

Like others said, only need four clubs or so, but do get clubs from US Kids Golf or Lynx or one of the other companies that makes specifically for kids (used would be fine). The shaft flex (whippy as heck graphite) and heads are designed so the kid can get the ball out there. Sawing down an adult's steel tree trunks is not the way to go, imo.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Play it Again Sports?

8. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Wal-Mart and most stores of the type have nice junior sets priced very reasonably that would work great. Even if they are a little longer than what he needs now, in a year or so he'll grow into them and they'll last into his teen years for sure.

9. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Got my first set from a garage sale. Actual wood drivers. Try that. And yes, if you can only find an adult set, get 'em cut down and regripped.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

These might be what you're looking for :)

[​IMG]

Good advice all around here.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I was going to suggest that as well.

How prevalent are their stores in some areas? I know there's a good number around me, but not sure if they are nation-wide or not.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My boys are now 11 and 8. Just get a cheap set either second hand or at Target. No need for name brand stuff. Just 3-4 clubs and let #1 have fun; less instruction the better. Do not cut down adult clubs. Heads are too big and weighting is off. The junior stuff is really tailored to their bodies. I love walking 9 holes with my boys at the local pitch and putt.

Draft saved Draft deleted