1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf Channel: nice choice of words

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Merrill Lynch is considering pulling all of its advertising from the Golf Channel.

2. Unfortunately, the comment is getting played and replayed without people having any context about who she is and the type of person she is. When I watched the comment, my jaw dropped in a "Did she really say that?" In a short piece I wrote last night, I said that it does not matter what Tiger's camp is saying, it matters what the black community hears and interprets, regardless of context. They will hear that the white, blonde rich girl from Duke say something totally wrong. They will not have your experience of knowing her.

Perception is reality, and as soon as Al Sharpton gets involved with his hypocritical mouth, all bets are off. And Tiger just does not get involved in these issues period. He never really has, and he as oft been criticized for this. Kind of like when Sharpton and Jackson criticize Obama for "not being black enough."

Have you had a chance to talk to her about the incident?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If this story continues to grow (thanks, Al) Woods may be forced to take a stance, and trust me, that is the last thing he wants to do.

I know he said he is OK with what happened, but the stance I am looking at him possibly taking is backing Al, or telling Al to STFU. Either way Woods hurts himself because he is alienating a section of his fan base.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Why is anyone even giving Sharpton the time of day on this?

Why isn't Sharpton out helping Obama win the nomination?

THAT'S RIGHT ... if we elect an African-American president, Sharpton's meal ticket gets cut off!

That's almost reason enough alone to vote Obama.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Why do people insist that human beings be perfect? She made a mistake, realized it and apologized.

Let it go, people.

6. For those who haven't seen it: the original thought wasn't even hers. The man started talking about how some of the young golfers may want to gang up on Woods so they could win one for once - she finished his sentence for him using that word.

And while it is a very sensitive word, it is a legal term.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Honestly, though, she is fortunate that she was suspended only two weeks.

You know, to me, it matters not a wit what Tiger thinks about it.

Something had to happen.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Maybe....

But no one outside of hardcores had heard of the woman till two days ago.

It might help ratings.

9. Simon_Cowbell

C'mon....

That legal mumbo-jumbo apologism may technically be true...

But c'mon.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

For those who say Al Sharpton doesn't speak for African Americans...

He sure as hell acts like it. He wants to meet with Golf Channel because the comments were “an insult to all blacks.”

And since, in his mind, he speaks for all African Americans it only makes sense that he would be the one to demand an audience...

His arrogance annoys the hell out of me...

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey Al,
    The Duke lacrosse players are still waiting for your apology.
    Until you can practice what you preach, shut the fuck up.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

She'll be dismissed within the week.

Draft saved Draft deleted