1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf Channel: nice choice of words

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 8, 2008.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

bang on. she obviously doesn't know what the word lynch really means, assuming its a synonym for beating someone up

It's not like Imus, who knew exactly what he was saying

Many years ago, I called a colleague a "hymie" in a joking manner because he was quibbling over the food bill.
    He was Jewish

I had no idea it was religiously derogatory. In my experience it meant a cheap person. I didn't know the history behind it

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If she had made a tasteless reference to a peer hiring the corpse of Shawn Eckhardt to bap Tiger on the knees with a billy club.... maybe.

I mean, the idea is correct: injury to The Great Cablinasian is the only way these lapdogs will ever win anything with regularity, let's be honest.

But....Lynching?

Wow... does ANYONE use that word anymore? I don't have the best filter between brain and mouth, but that is a whale-shark-sized shit nugget that never makes it past the stem.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You know, I don't think I have ever used it.

But then again, I was raised a Yankee.

I knew/know an athletic director in the South whose daughter's first word was rumored to rhyme with bigger.

This was told to me by one of his friends. The beauty is that this AD has to answer to a black, female boss

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Paging sportsbruh in 3.......2..

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Tiger's agent calls it a "non-issue".

Tiger is just unflappable, and rises above silly little remarks.

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1701417,00.html

6. 93Devil

He knows if he makes a big deal about it, then it will become a big deal.

Whoever Tiger has doing PR for him knows what they are doing. [/goeswithoutaying]

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

She's very lucky Tiger considers her a friend. If it was someone Tiger didn't care for -- Peter Kostis or some of the other talking heads who try to dissect Tiger's swing, perhaps -- you think that guy would keep his job?

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

From AP. Not surprising that Al Sharpton got involved.

URGENT
    Anchor suspended 2 weeks for “lynch” comment
    Eds: Moving on general news and sports services.
    By DOUG FERGUSON
    AP Golf Writer
    HONOLULU (AP) — Golf Channel suspended anchor Kelly Tilghman for two weeks on Wednesday for saying last week that young players who wanted to challenge Tiger Woods should “lynch him in a back alley.”
    Tilghman was laughing during the exchange Friday with analyst Nick Faldo at the Mercedes-Benz Championship, and Woods’ agent at IMG said he didn’t think there was any ill intent.
    But the comments became prevalent on news shows Wednesday, and the Rev. Al Sharpton joined the fray by demanding she be fired immediately. Golf Channel didn’t know who would replace Tilghman in the booth this week at the Sony Open or next week at the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic.
    “There is simply no place on our network for offensive language like this,” Golf Channel said in a statement.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dear Al,
    If Tiger doesn't have a problem with it, you shouldn't either.
    Now sit down and STFU,
    Signed
    humanity.

10. 93Devil

What a fucking cancer.

I hope he is buried in a casket so I can piss on his grave sometime.

Rev. Al, pure fucking pig shit

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Tiger's people will say he has no problem with it ... and then he'll freeze the Golf Channel out until they get rid of Kelly. The kid's got a memory as long as a Syracuse winter.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Now that Al Sharpton spoke up, I'm now for Kelly.
    There is no bigger racist bastard than the con srtist Rev. Al.

Draft saved Draft deleted