1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf Channel: nice choice of words

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 8, 2008.

1. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

DD has obviously never seen Ms. Tilghman up close.

You'd chafe your nutsack on her goatee.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The state of New Jersey has also just apologized for this remark.

4. Notepad

Notepad Member

I disagree with most posts in this thread.

She should be fired. Immediately.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Including Big Dogs?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Let's put it this way...Kelly's on the wrong Tour

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll take a guess at the context being maybe she was talking about young players and that they somehow "dispose" of Tiger so he stops winning all the majors and attention. Um, yeah, whatever. Dumb idea, dumber presentation.

Good luck not getting suspended or fired from a paper if that somehow gets into print. Ditto most TV jobs. I don't care if it's Kelly Tilghman, de facto mouthpiece for the PGA Tour. At the very least she needs an unpaid vacation.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Seriously? She doesn't look too bad at all in the pictures I've seen.

9. SigR

SigR Member

If this is the first time she's made a mistake like this, she deserves no punishment.

She gets paid to talk for a live audience. People make mistakes and say dumb things if they haven't consciously built a wall around an expression. "Are you out of your cotton-pickin' mind" is a good example of one we may be more familiar with. Sorry I don't have the reference, but I heard this somewhere recently to refer to decisions made in a football game, and many of the players in that football game were black. Did the announcer mean anything by it in a racial prejudice sort of way? I think you have to be overwhelmingly eager to be a victim to see it that way. Same with the statement made by Tilghman. It was poor word choice. Nothing more until we see a pattern.

Apologize and move on.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It was probably off the cuff. She's be foolish to say something like this by design.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

She deserves a good spanking. On behalf of the men of SportsJournalists.com, I volunteer.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't think you're going to be the one to give it to her...

Draft saved Draft deleted