1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf attire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eagleboy, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

We'll let the hounds begin in a minute, but bear with me...

PGA Tour is stopping by the old stomping grounds in a couple of weeks and I've never covered it before (put two and two together and you'll see why I was looking up the Globe coverage the other day). Just looking for some advice on the dress code and what's acceptable/not acceptable to cover a day at the links. Part of me just says to dress like I was playing; a little part of me says that's not a good idea.

So, experts, what is it?

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Don't wear jeans. Make sure your shirt has a collar. That's about it.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Shorts and a polo should be fine. I'd wear tennis shoes, I think sandals or flip-flops are unprofessional.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

wear those pants Johnny Miller and Dan Hicks had on yesterday... people will love 'em

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

You could dress like Ian Poulter. Then you'd be stylin'

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Tam o' shanter, plaid plus-fours (lime green and pink, of course) with matching knee socks. V-neck cardigan over short-sleeved polo.

7. accguy

accguy Member

Golf shirt and shorts are just fine. So is a hat if you're going to be out there walking the course.

Just no t-shirts or jeans or jean shorts.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Esquire, July issue, Summer Style Rules, Page 43: "It is 16 percent more difficult to respect a man once you have seen his toes."

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Sounds to me, from that one sentence, that statement was put through the rigors of the Scientific Method. ;)

10. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

We have a PGA event come to our coverage area every year and I always wear a polo shirt, khaki shorts and tennis shoes. A lot of reports wear khaki shorts to golf events, some wear pants, but you'll be fine in a collared shirt and nice shorts.

11. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

Wear golf spikes, too, so you don't slip and fall. Major faux pas.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Is the trend of men wearing their golf shirts buttoned all the way up over?

Please tell me that's over.

Draft saved Draft deleted