1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golf at its Best

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Apr 22, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No, did not get my first hole in one yet :(

But got to tee it up on Sunday morning with two buddies I had not seen in a couple of years and a younger kid who used to work in my office (23). I rarely play on weekends because of familial duties (LL, soccer, etc.)

It was just fun giving each other good natured ribbing and having everyone loose with no one up tight. Instead of someone cussing out their game or saying something like ("I never slice, ever"); it was fun lines like:

buddy (who is a 10 handicap) flubs his drive 50 yds and my other buddy responds "way to take 3 and 4 out of play");

I fly my wedge 10 yds over the green and the response is "spin.";

After finishing in a snappy 4.25 hours and lunch and a bloody mary in the clubhouse, it was a great day (shot okay, at least got one birdie).

NOTE: This was a public course, not a private club.

Of course, went home and desperately wanted a nap but nope, paddle ball in the backyard with the boys.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It was YOU, goddamnit! /crossthreading

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Finally got out to the course on Thursday and had one of my best rounds ever. It was a little par-3 course that I play at fairly often because it's cheap, near my house and I know the bartenders.

Anyway, I skulled my opening tee shot and it ran up, over and off the back of the green into the water. I thought, "Uh-Oh." But I made bogey with a nice up and down from the drop area and it was off from there.

Had a beautiful bending 24-foot uphill putt on 3 to save par, a perfectly sculpted fade (OK, I aimed left and sliced it) around a creek on 7 that set up a par and finished the front nine with a picture-perfect birdie.

I initially had my 8-iron out (it was an elevated green and a strong wind was in our face), but the wind died, so I went down to a 9. Stuck the tee shot about 5-feet above the pin, leaving me a tricky downhill with some right-to-left action. Tapped that fucker into the center of the cup and broke 40 on that course for only the second time (what can I say, I suck).

Went into the clubhouse and had four beers before another friend showed up. So we went out for another nine. I won't talk about that round. :D

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sweet.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I played on Friday with two friends who joined a local club. After about 4 holes of rust, really hit a good stride from 5-15, playing just about bogey golf, which is great for me. If I had any putting talent, I could have had 4 more pars.

Hit the wall hard the last 3 holes -- it was a hilly course and we walked it.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sweet.
    Never stop telling yourself you are a good putter. With confidence, even the worst strokers can make putts. Without it, you are toast.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm an overthinker when I putt. I'm usually able to clear my mind to one or two thoughts when I'm on the tee or in the fairway. But when I putt, my brain is a mess.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I love it when I play way too much break... then remind myself that the muni I paid $25 to walk ain't Augusta. Good times.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Best golf joke I've heard:

Golf is like sex;

when its great, its great;

When its so-so...

........its still great!!

10. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

I played my first 2008 round yesterday at one of our muni tracks. Walked the hilly layout, which had the dogs barking by midway through the back nine. Played like crap, couldn't get the driver in the fairway to save my soul.

And yet every time I think of the round, I only think about the good moments. Strange game.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

In that way, I suppose golf is like pizza.

12. Golf and sex: the only two things in life you don't have to be good at to enjoy.

Draft saved Draft deleted