1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golenbock's smutty Mantle novel finds a new home

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

How the fuck did Golenbock drag Len Shecter's name into this?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You can't libel a dead guy.

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I read Mantle's autobiography "The Mick" when I was in 4th grade. I think it was a gift from my parents, knowing I was such a huge baseball fan.

Little did they know that the thing was littered with profanities and detailed anecdotes of his drunken and sexual escapades. I felt pretty cool after finishing that one. I actually think I did a book report on it.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pffft. I can top that.

The co-author spoke to one of my classes in college. :D He critiqued our work and complimented me. Kickass.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Uh, yeah, I know that. It's kind of the whole concept behind the project, with Mantle being dead and all.

I'm just wondering what led him to drag Shecter into this. In 2007, there aren't that many people who are going to remember Shecter, so it's not like there's a lot of name value.

If he's casting for his bizarre freak show, he could have easily put the better-known Dick Young in that role, or used a well-known name from TV.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Plus, imagine the fun he'd have with Dick.

7. And here comes the 3-0 pitch...

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have to admit... I am going to read this book. I won't pay for it. But I'll read it. I have to. I don't even slow down to look at car wrecks on the highway, but I have to read this. Just have to.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Why worry about car wreck when you'll have a published version of a train wreck? Tell us how badly Golenbock screws this one up. Well, condensed version anyway ... Webby probably can't clear that much bandwidth.

Draft saved Draft deleted