1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golenbock's smutty Mantle novel finds a new home

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Feb 28, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh my Lord.

Mickey seems more of the gentleman ("I don't believe in having sex with women against their will the way Billy sometimes did")...

How the fuck does one write this shit??

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is not a book to give to your favorite nephew.

Ha ha! My nephew is 10, as sports obsessed as any kid I have ever seen, is a Yankees fan and always has a zillion questions about former players. His dad is learning about pro sports because of his son's interest, which sparked itself, but it's not naturally his thing, and his mom doesn't know a baseball from a grapefruit. So they rely on me to feed the kid sports stuff and encourage him. I just may have to give the kid a copy. He'll devour any book about baseball I give him and he reads at a pretty high level for a kid his age.

It'd be worth it for the phone call from my sister: "What the hell is the matter with you?!?!"

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Actually, I think the next contact would be from a process server holding a restraining order.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

That's a giant print run.

7. swenk

swenk Member

Hard to believe. Publishers announce these huge print runs--sometimes months before the book goes to press--but never actually decide the real quantity until the big chains place their orders.

In this case, the book is supposed to hit the stores in a month, so they have real numbers to work with, but 250,000 is an uncommonly high number. Much more common to print conservatively, and go back to press as necessary.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

I have a morbid fascination with this thing for any number of reasons. Anyway, the first reviews for Peter Golenbock's "7" are coming in, and they are unkind...

Entertainment Weekly has given it an F -- the only time I've seen that. (They even gave Albom's last one, which they called the worst book fo the year, a D-.)

"Words cannot fully convey how god-awful this 'inventive memoir' is. So let's try some numbers: 29 (number of naughty words in the first chapter), 24 (offensive jokes throughout), 5.2 (ratio of sexual banter to baseball talk), and 7 (number of hours wasted reading). Narrated in heaven by Mantle, with the help of late sportswriter Lenny Schecter, 7 should have died with ReganBooks, but Lyons Press salvaged it. 7 insults anyone who cherishes the Mick's memory -- or God (who asks Mantle to sign four dozen balls). And I haven't even mentioned the chapter in which Mantle, Schecter, and Toots Shor are transported to Marilyn Monroe's bedroom in 1953." -- Steve Wulf.

Y'ouch.

Anyway read this yet?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, people still pay him to write books...

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Jones, I won't read it. The fact that Peter Golenbock wrote it is all the reason I need.

One book on NASCAR was nothing more than his ability to feed fresh cassettes and batteries into his recorder. A couple of other books have been blasted critically.

And for reason I hope are obvious to many, I won't comment further on "Personal Fouls."

How does Golenbock continue to be published? Sheesh.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's pretty much every book he writes.

He gives oral histories a bad name.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

But at least you know he has thoroughly checked his facts

Draft saved Draft deleted