1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goldfish Are Dumb Pets

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I swear I'm about to watch one get killed. My roommate brought home a crayfish to stick in his aquarium, and tonight stuck a little piece of pork inside for it to eat. And of course the other six fish are trying to get it from this crayfish, which is about four inches long head to tail, and also has two sharp ass claws that stretch out further. I don't know how many times I've seen one come super close to become the next filet o' fish at Micky D's.

And shit, they just chased the thing back into this little log it hangs out under, and have this giant piece of pig to munch on. I've got my very own PBS show happning right in front of me here.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In high school we had frats and sororities (yes, it's an LA thing). One night we rushes had to swallow a live goldfish. The punk-ass members said to chew, but I wasn't about to do that, so I mimicked chewing and swallowed fast then pretended to chew some more. Good times. Exited a few days later, intact.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Tired of the JDV thread, I take it?

4. I think I read somewhere that a goldfish's memory only goes back like two or three seconds. So even if it was scared off by the crawfish, it would go right back.

5. Flying Headbutt

Eons ago, Norm. This is way more entertaining. For now the crayfish is atop a rock, about to jump on three fish below that are stealing her pork. I'm talking off a 15 foot steel cage type jump.

Here it comes..... here it comes!....... a fourth swam in and ooh! Almost got one. The fish have scattered and this big blue crayfish (yes, she's blue with red spots) gets her pork back.

And Ellis, these fish aren't even that smart.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I guess I understand, Headbutt.

By the way, how do you know that crawfish is a female? Are you THAT bored?

:p

7. Flying Headbutt

My roommate knows more about crayfish than you would ever think. Believe it or not he's paid to know all that shit.

There's one little piece left and the fish are kinda passing it around to each other, after the biggest one sucked down as much of the pork as it could. The little ones are trying to finish it, while the crayfish is back to looking for it where it used to be. She had her fill and walked away for a bit before.

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I am reading a thread about watching goldfish interact with a crayfish.

And I am enthralled.

Wow.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Are you sure this is really happening, FH, and not just one of those fish bowl screen saver things on your computer?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Only because you're tired of DyePack's douchebaggery on the football threads.

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

That's a big, big part of it. The manipulation of the polls by fanboys in the final week is really looking now. I don't know if you knew that.

12. Flying Headbutt

Spnited, if my screen saver was up would I be able to describe the play-by-play?

Things have kinda died down in the tank. But I'm thinking of getting another little piece of shredded pork and dropping it in again. That provided more action and entertainment than tonight's BCS game.

Draft saved Draft deleted