1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golden Globes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 15, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I just started watching Homeland two weeks ago, and I breezed through them all already. Great show.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just noting . . . if Clooney isn't the biggest modern all-time pet of the Globes, he's right there.

3. Sounds like Gervais was a lot of hype and failed to deliver on the snark.
    All-in-all a pretty boring and lame show.
    The only reason I would have tuned in was to see Gervais skewer the attendees.
    Glad I skipped it.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The only reason to watch this event is to check out which celebrities say the hell with it and just get kneewalking drunk. Jeremy Irons won that award for me this year. When the camera caught him, he was having trouble making his hands meet when giving his polite nominee announcement claps prior to losing to Kelsey Grammer. Since that award was presented at approximately 6 p.m. PST, Irons must've tuned in to the Ravens-Texans game with a double Bloody Mary and gone on from there.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Drive was better than Ides of March, and I liked both films a lot. The problem with Drive is there are as many people who hated it as there are who thought it was one of the best movies they saw last year.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, the Globes is pretty much the "we don't give a shit" show of the year. I love the speeches, and the drinking, and the fashion.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In case you missed it's here's Ricky Gervais's opening monologue. Thanks to HC for sending me this.

8. Mizzougrad96

I almost always miss it because of football.

9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Nothing to do with Gervais; it was all about NBC and the Globes. They bring Gervais back for the hype, so people would wait for him to say something controversial and hurt poor celebrities' feelings. Then Gervais appears twice in like an hour and 15 minutes. What lame marketing.

10. Mizzougrad96

I think NBC got what it wanted. It got a ton of hype for bringing back someone who most thought they never would and then they got him to play nice. (I'm saying that based on what I read, since I didn't see the show...)

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Golden Globes of my youth, for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted