1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golden Globes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Best Picture, comedy or musical: The Artist
    Best Picture, drama: The Descendants

Let the two-horse race begin, huh?

Clooney for Best Actor tonight.

Meryl Streep for Best Actress.

Great clip reel of Morgan Freeman for their lifetime achievement award. Damn has that guy been in some great movies.

Across the land, however, people are pissed that Tim Tebow was shut out. Typical god-hating Hollyweird bullshit, if you ask me.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I couldn't care less about the awards. I watch for the fashion. What was Paula Patton wearing??!!??

3. Dick Whitman

Something yellow, I think.

4. Dick Whitman

All the dudes wear identical tuxes. So it's boring from my standpoint. When I win my Best Screenplay award, film directed by David Lynch, I'm rocking a tweed gray suit with a gingham or striped shirt. Shaking shit up.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I first saw the trailer for the Artist sometime during the summer and it was one of those things where you could just tell that it had a really good chance to do damage during awards season. I saw it a few weeks ago and loved it. There's an infectious air to it that feels genuine. I saw the Descendants this past week and while I thought it was good, it didn't feel like a Best Picture. I wouldn't have a problem with it being nominated, but I'd be disappointed if it won.

6. imjustagirl

That meant "Why did she wear what she wore?" Not "Please tell me what she wore because I didn't watch."

smh

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Was the Cooney-Gosling political movie really better than "Drive?" Other than Albert Brooks' supporting nomination, that move kind of got stiffed, I thought.

8. Dick Whitman

Definitely not challenging enough, to me, for Best Picture.

Have you seen "The Tree of Life"?

Totally snubbed tonight, but hopefully will get some recognition at the big show.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I really wanted to see it, but it was out in theaters when I didn't have much time at all to go see it. I'll see it on DVD at some point, but I would love if it was nominated for Best Picture and therefore was shown in theaters again. I get the feeling, for the amazing visuals, that it's a movie best seen on the big screen.

Everything I've read makes that seem like a long shot, though.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought this was a Cindy Margolis thread. Oh, well.

11. imjustagirl

Margolis? What is this, 1997?

12. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

In the TV Drama category, it was good to see Homeland pick up two Golden Globes for best drama and best actress (Claire Danes). Likewise both for Kelsey Grammer of Boss for best dramatic actor and Matt LeBlanc for best comedy actor in Episodes. All three of those shows are excellent and those three actors were superb in their roles.

Draft saved Draft deleted