1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golden Globes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jan 16, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't watch, so take this for what it's worth.

When I am forced to go to the opera, I complain that there is too much singing -- if I stay awake and don't start snoring.

The people in that room are kind of forced to be there and smile -- the same way I feel when I go to the opera.

So yeah, it's like going to the opera and complaining there is too much singing. But it's more akin to being forced to sit through the opera and complaining.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Like going to a boxing match and complaining there's too much hitting.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Gervais wasn't performing for the celebs in the audience, he was performing for the millions watching on TV.

Some of his stuff was mean in a celebrity roast kind of way, but funny.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's funny because most of the reviews I've read said Gervais was great...

Travolta and Cruise probably got their panties in a bunch and threatened to sue...

5. Mizzougrad96

Gervais will be better off as a result.

6. The Big Ragu

Sue for what? Being goofed on by a comedian on National TV?

7. Mizzougrad96

Cruise threatened to sue Comedy Central when South Park did the "Tom Cruise won't come out of the closet" episode.

8. The Big Ragu

Considering that is an unwinnable suit. ... he needs a better PR person. Or one he will listen too.

9. wokattack

wokattack New Member

Ricky Gervais at his usual high standard when it comes to making you feel very, very uncomfortable - but unable to look away. Like the original version of The Office, this roast had me curling my toes so much they touched my Achilles tendons.

Has anyone seen his newest TV-series, An Idiot Abroad? If not, it is worth a view.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In the "American Idol" world of today, people just won't watch awards programs unless the host has a little zip on his delivery. The people who get and present the awards want these events to be occasions of historic significance and all around circle jerks of ego.
    So in pursuit of ratings (TV ratings for the Oscars have been falling for years), shows get hosts who are big-time professional comedians. Comedians tend to make fun of people, which crashes into the second concept. Chris Rock and Jon Stewart were one-time Oscar hosts for sins smaller than Gervais'.
    My personal solution is to watch something else, then look at who won and which actress wore which revealing gown online.
    Gervais' career, of course, will only be boosted by getting dumped by the Golden Globes.

11. Mizzougrad96

I remember the Rock-Jude Law deal, but what did Stewart do? I don't remember him being controversial, which at the time surprised me.

The only thing about Gervais that has stunned me is that he agreed to host the Golden Globes. Maybe he feels guilty about cashing $200K checks every week just for letting NBC make a version of the show he did in England.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I suspect Gervais feels guilty about very little.

Draft saved Draft deleted