1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golden Globes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jan 16, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Claire Danes was fantastic. Haven't seen the movie, but she is fantastic.

And you know you're getting old when you can't figure out why you are supposed to know about a third of the presenters.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Gervais was great, but he's beginning to wear on me. Maybe I've been overexposed to his work recently, but the timing of his speech never changes and it becomes grating and too smarmy after a few minutes, IMO.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Watched most of the last hour or so... I think Amy Adams was robbed.

January Jones looked amazing...

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I wonder if Gervais was benched for the Scientology crack and not the gay crack. Many MCs have made gay jokes and gotten away with it.
    Hate to poo on the couch, but even though I'm hetero, I'm not on the JJ love train (probably has to do with her horrendous SNL gig). She is the 21st century's Brooke Shields: conventionally beautiful, but I just don't find her sexy at all.

5. Mizzougrad96

Was he benched? Or are people just speculating? I know with a lot of those shows you don't see the host a ton after the intro.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Does anyone have any idea what the last part of the soundtrack to the DeNiro montage was? It's some soundtrack that I just can't place, and of course it's killing me. It's one of those things that's been used in 100s of trailers and feature stories on TV.

(Can't find the montage online, of course.)

7. terrier

Nothing official, but he was MIA for 65 minutes...long time without even a passing glimpse of the host.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Giamatti's speech came off like he was thoroughly unimpressed with the award but trying to sound impressed. And Natalie Portman rambled and rambled until she got lost.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

See ya, Gervais:

http://www.popeater.com/2011/01/17/ricky-gervais-banned-golden-globes/

10. Mizzougrad96

When Giamatti's category came up, I was thinking, "How can anyone win this category?" Granted, I've never seen Giamatti's movie, and I'll guess that no one else has either, but Johnny Depp wasn't going to win for Alice or The Tourist and the other nominees seemed pretty awful as well.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Like going to the opera and complaining there's too much singing.

12. terrier

Sanctimonious pricks. Remember, the Golden Globes people once bestowed a high acting award upon Pia Zadora. And they are infamous for ass-kissing the big stars.
    This was Ricky's basic act, and it's a reflection of the atmosphere, where the stars are getting tanked in a way they can't at the Oscars. If the Globies were going to have such a problem with it, they should never have invited him back to host again. They want the ratings his appearance brings, but they can't stand the heat from a few heavy-hitting agents.
    As for the cold reaction in the room...as I recall, Howard Dean brought the house down with his scream after the '04 Iowa primary. It played big in the room, but differently on TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted