1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golden Globe noms are in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I believe AFI gave it Top 10 status.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was just rereading this thread... The Wire getting snubbed isn't racism. It isn't that deliberate. In any case, the people behind the show are decidedly white.

It's probably simply that the show is an outsider. The people who vote for these things don't see the actors and producers around LA... the show shoots entirely on location in Baltimore. From interviews I have seen, it also seems as if Simon and Burns make no effort to court the TV establishment either. They probably rarely, if ever, step foot in Hollywood.

It's also very different than the one-hour dramas and half-hour sitcoms. The plots are too hard for the voters to follow, so they probably don't even bother. You can't pick up a DVD of Season Four, pop in a random episode and get it.

Not excusing the snub. But when I was thinking about it, it makes sense why it might happen.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It's racism because the French motherfuckers can't understand what the hell the show's dialog is.

THAT is the racism.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

The Golden Globes stature was never really big in Hollywood until they were put on television. The fact that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association was suspect has never exactly been a secret - it would be made clear any time there would be any preview of the Golden Globes with even the slightest big of analysis.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You might want to consult a dictionary. That is obliviousness, maybe. Racism is outright hatred or intolerance of another race.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yes.... intolerance of language.

Draft saved Draft deleted