1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Golden Globe noms are in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Dec 14, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can almost see the actors getting overlooked because it's an ensemble cast... But to completely neglect or ignore the show that just put on the best season of television ever (and no, that is not hyperbole)... well, how can anyone take the awards seriously?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ragu ... here's the thing ... only those who WATCH "The Wire" are not going to take them seriously because it was snubbed.

It bothers the shit out of me that Jennifer Carpenter didn't get a supporting actress nod for "Dexter." But inasmuch as you probably haven't seen it, it bothers you not in the least.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

"Actor, Musical or Comedy: Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"; Zach Braff, "Scrubs"; Steve Carrell, "The Office"; Jason Lee, "My Name is Earl"; Tony Shalhoub, "Monk"

Can't go wrong with Baldwin or Carell..."

Which means they'll pick Shaloub again...........

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Sorkin is not happy.

We trust that Sorkin will handle this disappointment maturely, refraining from the petty impulse to have Matthew Perry and Brad Whitford hold forth at length about the meaninglessness of awards shows on a future episode, lambasting the "back-slapping, junket-whore buffet monkeys who wouldn't know quality programming if a DVD screener lodged itself next to the empty heads lodged in their asses" for abandoning his show in its hour of need. (Defamer)

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think it's different... I have no idea if Dexter is any good, but if it is on par with the Wire, it's clearly flying under the radar screen. I am not reading story after story about it. I am not coming on here and finding a new thread about the series every day. It's not on HBO, which is known for the quality of its original programming and has a viewership based on it.

The Wire is getting a lot of critical notice. There are way more people who have seen the Wire who are going to be making noise than there are people who have seen Dexter and will be raising a stir.

6. Dedo

Dedo Member

Yep.

Shot, it's nothing against Dexter, because I haven't seen it, but the last season of The Wire was the best 13-hour block in the history of the medium. This snub is on a completely different level than any other, unless people are making the same claims about Dexter.

Any list of great TV shows without The Wire is like a list of the greatest all-time movies without The Godfather, or greatest rock groups without The Beatles, or greatest NBA players without Michael Jordan. It's a joke.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The one hope I have is since this is voted on by the Hollywood Foreign Press -- and the press has been the ones lauding The Wire -- they simply will vote for The Wire next year since it's still eligible.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Whitlock and the other bozos saying the Bonds anger is racism... they're morons.

This, on the other hand, is unadulterated racism.

I haven't seen something so egregious in my lifetime.

Please tell me someone wrote a racism column.. someone respected....

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He was excellent.

His best performance ever.... by a gargantuan distance.

But this year's awards are indelibly tainted nonetheless.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I don't think Forrest Gump is near the correct analogy.... but I agree with the post.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I haven't seen the flick. It just seemed odd, given that I haven't liked him in anything since Dogma.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Believe me... it was very odd.

Draft saved Draft deleted