1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gold

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gold
    Always believe in your soul
    Youve got the power to know
    Youre indestructable
    Always believe in,because you are
    Gold

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Nature's first green is gold,
    Her hardest hue to hold.
    Her early leaf's a flower;
    But only so an hour.
    Then leaf subsides to leaf.
    So Eden sank to grief,
    So dawn goes down to day.
    Nothing gold can stay.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tell 'em G. Gordon Liddy sent you. ::) ::)

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And with 10% unemployment and people afraid to spend because they are either 1) out of work or 2) scared they soon will be out of work, I see no reason demand for anything will increase, and I see supply sitting on shelves.

Hence, I just see no inflation just because the government is printing money to give to China and build bridges.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Our family just inherited five ounces of gold coins. Everyone I talked to in the know thinks this is a bubble that's going to correct itself.

We sold a few, we kept a few. We'll see.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Consumer demand doesn't fuel the gold market. Institutional demand does. And the strength or weakness of the dollar does.

A major reason many people are saying there may be no support for this level is that a lot of the buying has been from gold producers, who are buying back gold to cover hedges they want to get off the books. Google "Barrick Gold" to read about what I am talking about. The thinking is that all that buying might be creating a floor for the price that is going to go away when they have bought back everything they need to to cover their futures.

That could be the case. But another thing, that isn't getting written about as much the last few days is that China has been going nuts in the gold market. Every time the price dips a little, by all accounts they have been jumping in and buying more to build up their reserves. That suggests that China, which has been a major buyer of U.S. debt (helping to prop us up) is losing faith in the U.S. Dollar. And whether it is reality following perception, or the other way around, the dollar has been getting weaker by the day. It's at marked lows against nearly every other major currency. We have begged and borrowed ourselves into this situation, while deflating the currency with low interest rates that have had the Fed running the printing presses 24/7.

The dollar may still be the world currency of choice, but there is at least grumbling about what our monetary and fiscal policy has done to it.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Great pull. When I saw the thread title I had two thoughts. Your's was one of them. The other?

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Glad you got your avatar back, Starman. My fave scene from Animal House.

9. sportsguydave

Great old song, Tony .. 1979 I think?

From the useless information department ... the only time in history when there were three Stewarts in the Top 40 at the same time: Rod, John, and Amii (with her disco-fied remake of "Knock on Wood" ...

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

"YOU ARE GOLD!" :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. sportsguydave

And my favorite line:

"My buddy Tim Bass, he's a workin' pumpin' gas