1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gold medal skater's visa revoked by China

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Aug 6, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Joey Cheek is the founder of Team Darfur, a group of 70 athletes whose goal it is to raise global awareness of the human-rights violations taking part in the Darfur region of Sudan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Chi?urn=oly,98718

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Man, he was the best story of the last Olympics.

Uh-oh.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Good work, IOC.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

It just gets worse and worse...

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nice, China. The latest pearl in a string of nice. Throw in some tanks and flaming monks, and sheet, you've got yourself an oolong tea party.

It's not too late for Barry Tompkins to fly over and modify his line from Rocky IV, to be played over each event: "NO HOLDS BARRED IN BEIJING." Seeming more appropriate.

Hopefully, NBC "reds up" the coverage a little, smash cutting shots of a seemingly hostile crowd over the intros, using the NFL Sunday Night music instead of the "Olympics! Whee!" soundtrack.

Wouldn't it be just the little bit cool, you're watching the gymnastics all around, and the football ditty comes on, fixing in on a closeup of Carly, brow furrowed in concentration, Bela, growling, Mike Tomlin, clapping his hands, looking cool.

Yes, I'm suggesting a Mike Tomlin cameo in Beijing. Accompanied by the appropriate Al Michaels voiceover: "And there's Mike Tomlin..."

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I am waaay too stupid to understand who/what you're sending up, Alma, but I'm going to pretend I did by saying, "great post!" and/or "great insight!"

Did I say that out loud?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But how will they know, since every website with the word "darfur" will be blocked and delet....

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Slappy's fate ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

As many faults as we have here, I'm glad I live in America.

Fuck the Chinese government.

No wonder Guns N Roses won't release that album.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oh well ... one less sappy feature by NBC.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

LOL @ the Mike Tomlin references.

A couple of friends of mines were arguing about whether or not he gets a shape up before every game. His haircuts STAY SHARP.

Back to this crap China is pulling.....how fearful are they of a, at most, three week stay by this guy in their country? I mean, how much legitmate damage could one man do in such a short period of time that warrants their overzealous actions?

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I agree with Three Bags, I think the Olympics in China are just the thing we need to realize we live in a pretty good place, despite whatever problems we have.

Draft saved Draft deleted